Open folders in left and right panes using DOpusRt.exe

Hi all,

I have a batch file with two DOpusRt.exe commands to open two folders in new tabs of the active (if it exists) or a new lister with one folder on the left pane, and the other on the right pane. This batch works well when DOpus is already running (active of minimized).

If DOpus is not running, this batch creates two listers with each folders on the left side. What should I change to make it work also if DOpus is not launched?

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go "C:\" NEWTAB OPENINLEFT
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go "D:\" NEWTAB OPENINRIGHT

This seems to work:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Set SOURCE=Left
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go "C:\" NEWTAB OPENINLEFT DUALPATH "D:\"

(The OPENINLEFT is probably redundant after my first line, but was what I tested with, so I left it in in case I'm wrong.)

Hi Leo. Thanks for reply.

Yes. This works with two folders. But, sorry if my answer was not complete before (I wanted to keep it simple), but my real need is more complex. In realty, there could be more than two folders to open and they need to be launched one at the time. This is to be used in Quick Access Popup when opening a group of folders, opening each of them in a loop. Also, each folder in the loop could be open on the left or right pane.

If you think there is a recipe for this? If not, I would have to look for another coding approach.

For example, the following code works well when DOpus is running but not when it is closed. The first line could be different if this helps.

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go "C:\" NEWTAB OPENINLEFT
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go "D:\" NEWTAB OPENINRIGHT
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go "C:\Temp" NEWTAB OPENINLEFT
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go "C:\Windows" NEWTAB OPENINRIGHT

It sounds like you'd be better off using tab groups or maybe layouts.

Hi Jon. I agree if it was to be used in DOpus. But it must be launched from an external program using DOpusRt.

Do not spend too much time on this. If there is no easy solution with DOpusRt command, I can find a workaround. Thanks.

There are commands to open layouts and tab groups, so you can run them from dopusrt.exe as well.

I understand. But the list of folders to open can change dynamically. To open the group or layout, it would have to pre-exist in DOpus.

Iā€™m sorry if this seems complex. I could make a short video showing the "real life" need.

You could write a layout or tab group XML into the config folder, then trigger the command to load it

Another approach could be to open the first tab then find the window it's in (waiting if not there yet) using the API for enumerating tabs, then send the other commands.

Installing a script add-in that lets you send more complex commands to it is a third option. That's probably the cleanest way to do things, and installation is just a matter of placing the script in the config folder (and waiting a couple of seconds before using it the first time).

I can explore these solutions. But first, I'll try to add some code before opening the first item of the group to test if a lister exists and, if not, launch dopus.exe before using the first dopusrt.exe command.

Thanks for your help Leo and Jon.

As a side note, I will soon make a post to update DOpus users on the evolution of Quick Access Popup . A DOpus + QAP user pointed out to me recently that it was a long time ago that I had not updated the DOpus community about new features in QAP.

1 Like