Opening NEW Word file discrepancy

Hello:

In Windows 10 > MS Word 2010 > Control Panel > Keyboard > Keyboard Properties box > Tab Key Settings > Key Settings List > Media > Configure > Start a program, Web page, or file > Next > "Type the path to a program , Web page, or file; or click Browse to find it",

I have this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /tC:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Custom_2018-07-03.dotm

When I click on my keyboard's Media key, a Word document based on a custom template opens.

While I know that this issue has been raised by myself twice before, I have a simple question this time: Why does the same string as above not work with Dopus' Command Editor for Lister Context Menu:

FileType NEW 
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /tC:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Custom_2018-07-03.dotm

Hans L

The second string isn't "the same string as above", it has something extra added to it for some reason.

Get rid of the FileType NEW and make the menu item run the exact same command that your hotkey runs, if you want the menu item to do the same thing as your hotkey.

If you want it to do something different to the hotkey then please give details.

Leo, I forgot to 'anonymize' my User name. Done now.

Here is how I see it:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE"

in my keyboard 'hotkey' opens a Word document based on Normal.dotm

FileType NEW "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE"

in Dopus' Lister context menu creates a Word document based on Normal.dotm in the active lister.

in my keyboard 'hotkey' opens a Word document based on a custom template.

FileType NEW "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /tC:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Custom_2018-07-03.dotm

in Dopus' Lister context menu creates ... nothing. We can't blame MS, because they have shown a way (my keyboard 'hotkey' being an example). Does FileType NEW do something that nullifies the custom template? Seems like it.

Would be great to get FileType NEW to work with custom templates the way MS Word does inherently.

I love FileType NEW in the context menu. That is the function I would like for custom templates.

Hans L

If you want to use FileType NEW you have to use it correctly, you can't just pass random things to it and expect it to work.

If you take the FileType NEW out of the command, so that what you're running is the same as what you're running from your hotkey, then it will work as expected.

Well, Jon, I do understand that it works then like my keyboard "hotkey" works: opening a Word file based on my custom template. But that is not what I want.

You have obviously gone out of your way to provide a way for us users to create, for example, a Word file with a default name (or a name we can chose) in a lister. That is very, very good. But I has hoped that this could also work with the Word's 'official' way of using a custom template.

Now, having said the above, I do understand that if Word has provided a way for you to create a file in a lister the way FileType NEW does, but does not provide the same function for custom templates, there is not much you can do about it. If that is the case, I will go back an see if the 'button' that Leo has talked a lot about will do what FileType NEW does. Someone has also talked about changing the registry for the creation of new files. Perhaps taht will work.

Regards,

Hans L