Opening unfinished archive keeps other tab waiting (but not folder tree)

Situation: Background process downloads a .ZIP. The file is not completely downloaded yet. Double Clicking it in Source Tab makes Opus trying to open it and Windows keeps it waiting because the file is not there yet. Now the other tab is stuck in its directory. (Well, I can traverse via the folder tree or the breadcrumbs so not fully stuck). But every double click operation on folders or files is kept on hold because it is still waiting for the open to finish in the other tab.
Don't know whether this is fixable or not, pretty odd behaviour though.

It may be antivirus trying to scan the file, rather than Opus itself.

Which file and software to download it should we use to try to reproduce this?

In my case the zip in question was downloaded by a Powershell Script. I tried to open while the download was still going on. System is standard Windows 10 with integrated antivirus, nothing special.

powershell -command "& { (New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('http://INSERT_URL_HERE.ZIP', '.\update.zip') }"

The built-in antivirus is has caused a lot of problems in the past. It may or may not be involved, but shouldn't be discounted.

An example zip/url would be good to save us having to search for a a website hosting a direct link to a large/slow file to download, and in case it depends on the file contents.

Failing that, a process snapshot while in the problem state may let us see which code is blocking on the file, and if it's in Opus itself or somewhere else.

Sorry, totally forgot to give you that link. This is for powershell from an update-script:

powershell -command "& { (New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('http://the-eye.eu/DO_NOT_DELETE_EXO/update.zip', '.\update.zip') }"

Cheers, Boris

I can't see any issues double-clicking that archive before it has downloaded, other than an error message saying the archive is invalid (which is obviously correct while it's still downloading).

I'd still suspect antivirus is causing the issue, as not much else could do what you describe.

Thanks for trying. I will try to find out what kind of interaction triggered the behaviour I saw. And many thank for the Onedrive status recursion fix in the latest beta!

2 Likes