Option for the Expanded Folder Display to Use the View of the Subfolder Not the Parent

Currently when a folder is expanded the subfolders in it receive the view format of the parent folder that was expanded.

I suggest when a folder is expanded folder an option be available that the subfolders in it receive the view format of the subfolder not the parent folder that was expanded.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. But it must be as an option, as it could start to get ugly fast with 5 - 6 different views in the same list...

Which aspects of the format do you have in mind? Iā€™m not sure many would make sense here.

My use case is a folder with many (200) subfolders which contain mostly files and a few child subfolders. It is set to the Small Icons View which displays two or three columns of subfolder names. This is useful in order to see many subfolders at a time without having to spend too much time scrolling to a desired subfolder. The subfolders can all be expanded. Currently, the expanded subfolder displays its child subfolders in the Small Icons View. I would prefer that it went to Details View immediately.

Here is the problem result. If the expanded subfolder is at the top of the lister then when I manually change to Details View from Small Icons View, I see the subfolder at the top of the lister and the contents beneath it in Detail View. If the subfolder is towards the bottom of the lister, when I manually change to Details View, the expanded subfolder scrolls out of sight as it is now below the visible portion of the file list.

The same sort of problem happens in Large Icons and Power Mode Views. It doesn't happen with List View, Details & Thumbnails, Thumbnails or Tiles Views.

Having now written this out, it occurs to me that, perhaps, two solutions are possible. One, my first idea, set the child subfolders to the Details View. Two, automatically have the name of the expanded subfolder scroll back up into sight at the top of the file list.

I harbor no illusions that this is important relative to all the other issues around a version update the breadth and depth of this version update. It is surely icing on the cake. This is the dilemma of such a robust and mature software - more items become icing. Continuing props.