Option to close file in Viewer

v10.0.5.2 solves the issue of deleting a file being shown in the viewer pane, but you still cannot rename of move the file. Ideally the same logic that fixed the ability to delete the file (waiting until plugin had closed the file) should be applied to rename and move. However it might also be a good idea to simply provide a close button within the viewer pane. Then we can do whatever we like to the file.
ps. pls don't anyone suggest I simply need to close the viewer, that's the wrong answer

I thought there might be a raw command to close the file in the viewer but I can't see one. If there was one, I could add that command to my custom buttons to close the viewer file, then launch some other app passing the name of the selected file(s).

You can't close the file in the viewer without either closing the viewer (which you don't want to do for some reason) or causing another file to be loaded into it (which would require the file you want to do something with to not be selected).

Can I vote that such an option be added in a future release.
I set up a lister that shows a list of video files and a viewer. I review each video and (1) if it needs editing, I click a button I created to load the file into another app for processing. That app however cannot do anything with the passed file as its held open by the viewer. (2) If the video does not need editing then I plan to move it to a new location. Currently I must copy it then delete, rather than move.
I can work around the issues but it would be simpler if I could simply close the file within the viewer via a viewer button and/or raw command.
Cheers

Sure. Your vote will count for more if you link your account.

I don't understand why you don't want to close the viewer in this case. Just to avoid opening it again for the next file, or for some other reason?

Having an extra button which closes the file in the viewer doesn't seem that useful to me when there is already a button to close the whole viewer.

It might depend on which splitters/codecs are being used, but for me I can delete & rename videos normally while they are playing.

Moving them also works for me, with the caveat that the filename will remain in the source directory until the viewer is either closed or told to open another file. (That's because the file has been deleted, but is still open, so the name exists in "pending delete" state until the last handle to the file is closed. As soon as the file is closed, it vanishes.)

[quote]Can I vote that such an option be added in a future release.
Sure. Your vote will count for more if you link your account.[/quote]
Done

[quote]I click a button I created to load the file into another app for processing. That app however cannot do anything with the passed file as its held open by the viewer.
I don't understand why you don't want to close the viewer in this case. Just to avoid opening it again for the next file, or for some other reason?
Having an extra button which closes the file in the viewer doesn't seem that useful to me when there is already a button to close the whole viewer.[/quote]
I have setup a lister that has folder panels and viewer panel. The idea is to step through files viewing them then do something with them (and not have the viewer hold the file open). It seemed wrong to me to close the viewer, which changed the whole layout of my lister, just to perform some action on the file. However given your comments I tried it. After performing my action on the file I then reopened the viewer and (most importantly) it reopened in the same location/size etc. So I concede that it works with 2 mouse clicks (close/reopen viewer) rather than just 1 click (close file). Though it seems counterintuitive to me, Its certainly a fair workaround so thanks.

[quote]If the video does not need editing then I plan to move it to a new location. Currently I must copy it then delete, rather than move.
It might depend on which splitters/codecs are being used, but for me I can delete & rename videos normally while they are playing.

Moving them also works for me, with the caveat that the filename will remain in the source directory until the viewer is either closed or told to open another file. (That's because the file has been deleted, but is still open, so the name exists in "pending delete" state until the last handle to the file is closed. As soon as the file is closed, it vanishes.)[/quote]
Not so for me, currently working on .mts video files. As soon as I try to move it (clicking it opened it in the viewer), Dopus gives an "in use" error dialog.
However the workaround discussed above will resolve.

Thanks leo

How about something like:

@set file={s}{o} select next C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe {$file}

Thanks steje. It got me thinking and I'm testing a variety of options along that line.