Options for fading selected folders

I'm used to software that grays things out when they do not have focus. Dopus's method is to change the opacity of the color. So now there have been several I've deleted or moved files I didn't want to because I got confused.

My request is that you add the ability to also fade color saturation when a file display and tree is selected but does not have focus.

If Preferences / Display / Options / Use visual style to draw items (overrides selection colors) is on (the default), the visual difference between selected items in a panel with and without focus is decided by the Windows visual style.

On Windows 10 the difference is hard to miss, as things turn from blue to grey:

On Windows 7 the difference may be more subtle.

If you turn that option off, you can use the % values below Preferences / Display / Options / Fade selected item colors when (tree | file display) does not have focus to change the amount of blending done, although turning off visual styles for items changes the look of things quite a lot so you may not want to.

Use visual style to draw items be it on or off nothing changes. Also, it is not using the same colors as Windows. See attached.

Could you show a screenshot the file display in one or two of those modes?

Here's some shot. The first two are Dopus. I showed the selection colors plus had the setting window open so you can confirm the visual style setting. Also, after I changed a setting I exited Dopus and rebooted the computer just in case. The last one is Windows Explorer. Although with Windows Explorer, I noticed that if I open two instances, the color of a highlighted file doesn't change when I switch back and forth between the instance. The difference in color is when I take the focus off the folder tree and put it on the file.

Ah ok, you have themes completely disabled in Windows.

Adjusting the Preferences / Display / Colors and Fonts / Files and folders colors and similar may let you get something that works better.

Avoiding white text for the selected items would mean the text would still show up when the selection background is faded out. May mean a lighter selection background is needed as well, to keep good contrast between the text and the background when both faded and unfaded.

I have a theme enabled in Windows. See attached image. Also, I looked at the files and folders settings and saw nothing for non-focus colors.

That's not an aero theme (visual style) though.

Opus doesn't have specific settings for non-focused colours, only the fading options. Or, if you use an aero theme, you may get a grey non-focus colour by default due to the visual style.

Thanks for explaining that. Then please consider my enhancement request.

Consider using visual themes. They're not just graphics themes like in XP, it's something called "desktop composition" and makes desktop works completely different. First of all - gives you hardware acceleration for desktop and eliminates tearing (vertical sync on desktop and most of applications). May helps you with modern video applications/players too. Only using very old applications gives some advantages of non using desktop composition (old gfx software with dotted, outdated selection style for example). I like simplicity too, but I switch to visual styles and just found windows styles that are as simply and clean as possible (there is even project for "classic" look somewhere on internet).

BTW. Video preview in Directory Opus looks better when desktop composition is disabled because uses some old video renderer. It's part of DO that I think should be updated - all video players has video renderer select options except Opus. It makes low resolution videos on win7 aero looks pixelated (the same effect is when I use some really old version of video players on win7).

stackoverflow.com/questions/4134 ... than-on-xp

I found more posts (mostly about old version of VLC and pixelated videos) but above is important because has interesting answers about that problem.

We are rather off-topic now, but you can use the same movie player that Explorer uses in Opus if you wish.

My Explorer doesn't show preview of avi, so I suspect is not using any movie player. Opus has internal player but a bit outdated as I suppose, so maybe it's time to update it a little? I can live without some functions, I use not only Opus so I can handle some problems but I hope some of my small advices (and other users) will be useful - like this renderer change or better scaling images. All I want is to have really powerful filemanager with some useful additional stuff, but for now I revert to IrfanView again and I turn off desktop composition (another shortcut) from time to time if I want to preview lot of small low resolution videos without pixelation.

Sorry for offtopic. If you want I can start new topic "Update internal video player". If it's worth it of course.