Opus 11.15 high memory usage or leak

Hi Guys,

Don't know when it started, but I've been noticing that Opus is consuming insane amounts of Ram.
I have a 32gb Hexacore system on which I run W7 x64, and noticed the other day that on a medium heavy audio session I was doing i suddenly couldn't add anymore virtual instruments.
Task manager shows Opus consuming over 7gb or Ram(!!!), even with just one window open.
When I quit and restart it, the Opus window won't show until the ram is filled up to 7gb.
I only have a few menu extensions (dropbox, syncplicity, winrar, foldericons, mega, winamp) so not quite sure what is causing this.

What I do know is that it's making Opus unusable...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Please follow How to find components causing memory leaks and see where it leads.

Hi Leo,

Had a look at that but Vmmap just seems to crash and take the entire system with it.

When Opus starts up, its windows don't appear until its memory use is at around 7gb.
When I check in Process Explorer, I can see when it's starting up it's small (500kb), then starts filling up memory until it reaches 7gb, after which the opus windows appear; it can't be accessed before.

If I refresh Vmmap while it's checking (it keeps filling up with memory and crashes before opus hits 7gb) and check threads, I can only see ntdll handles, and opus' own.

(vmmap keeps filling up and is at around 22gb of memory before opus reaches 7gb of use, at which point my system starts choking out and becomes unusable.)

If you can pause VMMap (Ctrl+Space, or Options > Trace Snapshot Interval > Paused) and get it to save the trace/dump to a file just after the memory starts climbing, that would probably contain all the information we need.

That said, I've been looking into this today and found that VMMap currently locks up for me when I try to save a trace. I'm not sure what the issue is, but found another person with the same problem on Windows 10, so it may be a problem caused by OS changes. Looks like you're on Windows 7, so hopefully it won't affect you.

If we can't rely on VMMap then I'm not sure there is a good alternative. I've been looking today and there are other tools but none that are suited to you running them to capture information to send to us.

If VMMap is a no-go, let's try another tactic. First, it would be good to find out if your Opus configuration is a factor. If it is, we can look at what's causing it, and if it's not then we can focus on third party components as the problem is most likely in them.

With Opus not running at all, please run this from the Win+R (Start > Run) dialog:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /cmd Prefs BACKUPRESTORE

Hopefully that will open the Backup & Restore wizard, and no other Opus windows will open, nor will the memory issue start happening. This will depend a bit on your Opus Startup preferences, however.

If you are able to use the Backup & Restore wizard to make a complete backup of your configuration, please save it to a safe place, then uninstall Opus (this will wipe the config), reboot, and then reinstall Opus and see if the problem still happens.

If you aren't able to use the wizard, you can do a manual config backup, but there are also some other things we can try first. If that's the case, please don't do anything yet, but reply to this thread and let us know what happens, and in particular if any other windows open when you run the command above; I can then advise on how to prevent them opening, which may let you use the wizard.

Maybe its time to work with Mark Russinovich to get a tool that is usable for these situations?

[blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/about.aspx](http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/about.aspx)

[forum.sysinternals.com/tool-for- ... 31229.html](http://forum.sysinternals.com/tool-for-leaking-memory_topic31229.html)

[forum.sysinternals.com/search_re ... 7&KW=vmmap](http://forum.sysinternals.com/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20150826205517&KW=vmmap)

The lock-up has been reported (at least once before now) but Mark's a very busy man and it's a free tool so we'll have to wait & see.

I'm not sure the memory usage can be fixed without a redesign of how the tool works, at it stores all the details in memory. I wouldn't expect much there, and it's probably never going to be a tool you can leave monitoring something for hours or days, but a short trace/snapshot as soon as the allocations start is all we should need for this particular problem anyway. Failing that, there are other ways we can diagnose it; it'll just be much easier if we can use VMMap.

Hi Leo,

Well, I wasn't getting anywhere fast with Vmmap. All I could see was windows handles/dll's, so i decided to uninstall.
It definitely seems to be something in my config, as when I cleanly install Opus sits at a neat 40k :slight_smile:

Could it be file collections? As soon as I do a restore, memory starts filling up again.
I think I'll probably just end up rebuilding my layout, as I haven't got too much time right now to get to the bottom of this.

If you suspect file collections, rename this folder:

C:\Users[b][/b]\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Collections

then try launching Opus again.

If that fixes it, please zip the folder and send it to us to look at. You can email it to leo@gpsoft.com.au if you want to avoid posting it to the forum.

Reinstalling and just restoring my window positions and settings seems to have done the trick.
My guess is indeed collections, so will try that later when I have a bit more time...at least I'm back in business..

Cheers!