Opus crashes when extracting image from .mp3 metadata

In lib://Music, selecting an mp3 file to copy the cover art image within the metadata pane causes the following error message

Directory Opus has encountered a program error.
The error (0xC0000005) occurred in the thread "dopus_lister" at address 0x006563E4

Exact method:

select a .mp3 file in an open lister with the metadata pane open.
mouse over cover art in metadata pane, right click on pop-up image for menu.
Selecting extract image then causes the above error message to appear.
Clicking yes to terminate thread results in a thread successfully terminated message box.
Clicking OK in that box kills Opus.
Clicking no to the terminate thread request results in the same message has the same effect and Opus dies.
The restart opus tick-box is selected and Opus restarts automatically.

Repeated this exercise after a couple of system reboots and still persists.

I don't think this is supposed to happen!

OS 32bit Win 8 Pro with Opus 10.5.0.0 (4779)

Any thoughts?
Regards, Joe Fuller

It's probably related to how the mp3 is tagged.

Can you send us an example mp3 which causes the problem?

Just tried to upload the file as an attachment and got the error message The extension mp3 is not allowed, tried renaming it to .zzz and that's not allowed either. Any suggestions as to how to get a file to you - direct email possibly?

Zip it.

(Disc 3) 11 - I_ Idylle, à Debussy (Digital bonus trac.zip (1.73 MB)

I can't repro here with that file following the steps you listed...

No crash here, either. Tried both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Do you get a crash if you extract the JPG file from this zip? Maybe it's the JPG and not the MP3 that contained it, and maybe it's a shell extension crashing when it encounters this particular JPEG. Only thing I can think of that would make it reliably crash your machine but not the three others we've tried so far.

Front cover.zip (135 KB)

I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with, but it looks like it might be something to do with the configuration of this PC. If I can narrow it down any further I'll let you know, but thanks for investigating it so far. One point, it's not crashing the PC, it's just Opus that dies then, as the restart box is ticked, auto restarts. I'll try recreating the error condition and not set auto restart and see if that cures it, just in case something odd has got set somewhere and is causing the problem (hadn't thought of that till now).