Opus crashing when trying copy one lister to the other side

Hi, i don´t know the right name, but there are those small icons for "back/forward/up/open in other side/swap/toggle/close", & since the new version
using the "open in other lister" function will crash!

gaah, this is a not so nice one, please fix asap! I use this function a lot. thx.

:cry:

Opus version: 9.1.0.3 x86

using dual lister with a couple of tabs on each side.

I'm not seeing this here in tests; can you send the minidump files this would have created in %TEMP%\DOpus.Minidumps ?

Well, it here occurs perhaps in 50% of all tries, but i couldn´t make out a certain culprit pattern, though. Seems to be random, one time happening while trying from left to right, then vice versa.
I appended a few minidumps per pm, it that´s ok. I also tried using an older backup (.ocb), with the same results, reinstalling 9.1.0.3 didn´t help either.
What i tried, but without any effort, to build a work-around button a lá "GO newtab OPENINDUAL", that would open the current lister in the opposite window. Please give me some hint, how this possible.

& yes, this time i´ve read the manual, but still can´t figure out the right steps. :smiley:

Unfortunately I'm still not able to reproduce this here, and the minidumps (thanks for sending them) weren't helpful :frowning:

Can you isolate this to a particular folder or set of folders that causes it? Before you click the button, are you already in a dual display Lister or a single display?

Finally, if you still have 9.1.0.2 it would be interesting to see if you went back to that whether the problem still existed for you.

This is one way to do it:

Go CURRENT NEWTAB OPENINDUAL

If you run that do you get the crash? If so then maybe the problem is due to simply reading the directory in more than once. The FAQ on crashes when reading directories may help if that's the case. (If the command doesn't cause the crash, and only the file-display-border button does, then the FAQ probably isn't relevant.)

[quote="jon"]Unfortunately I'm still not able to reproduce this here, and the minidumps (thanks for sending them) weren't helpful :frowning:

Can you isolate this to a particular folder or set of folders that causes it? Before you click the button, are you already in a dual display Lister or a single display?

Finally, if you still have 9.1.0.2 it would be interesting to see if you went back to that whether the problem still existed for you.[/quote]

No, sorry, it seems to be quite random, but i am doimng more tests still.
I have to report a few other things, which maybe are important.

• i was adding items to an file collection, seemed to work, but couple of times after reboot the newly added items were gone.

but much more interesting

• after such crash, when launching my "normal" layout from tray icon, funnily one other 3 way button won´t work correctly anymore:

LMB: Prefs LAYOUT "normal" LAYOUTCLOSELISTERS=yes
RMB: Prefs LAYOUT "bilder" LAYOUTCLOSELISTERS=yes
MMB: Prefs LAYOUT "PDF" LAYOUTCLOSELISTERS=yes

clicking either button will vanish the lister, no new lister will open up. This will change only after restarting Dopus. That´s very strange.

Plus, doubleclicking the desktop won´t start any lister, despites Dopusrt.exe running.

I hope this is somehow a hint that helps roping in the error.

Just a thought, have you rebooted after installing 9.1.0.3 ?

This is one way to do it:

Go CURRENT NEWTAB OPENINDUAL

If you run that do you get the crash? If so then maybe the problem is due to simply reading the directory in more than once. The FAQ on crashes when reading directories may help if that's the case. (If the command doesn't cause the crash, and only the file-display-border button does, then the FAQ probably isn't relevant.)[/quote]

Hi, & thx, Nudel.

The button works perfectly, no crashes whatsoever. So this is a very nice work around. I didn´t have major, if any, changes in Windows/program environment, because this would be a possible "third party" source for errors.

I am using System Safety Monitor (a HIPS, Host Intrusion Preventing System), which never caused any problems regarding Dopus or any other application.

Still i supected it a bit to possibly cause that problem, since it treats Dopusrt.exe as an extra application (But as i said, i never had any problems with it since april 2007, when i started using Dopus, vrs 8 back then, but who knows?).

I only say this in case of nobody could verify this particular bug on another machine, which would mean, some very specific interaction on my machine is causing this error.

Or it is something regarding that new button for loading sets of tabs, which i use since a few days? I don´t think that it´s the reason, though.
It is a three way button (i asked in that other thread here recently), which is loading different sets of tabgroups, like

Go TABGROUPLOAD=group1 OPENINLEFT
Go TABGROUPLOAD=group2 OPENINRIGHT

for LMB, & another set loading other groups for RMB.

So basically i have to save each group accordingly to how they´re supposed to open the tabs (there are currently 2-3 tabs in each group).

But in the meantime i can use the new button. :sunglasses:

yep, since the install automatically prompts for it. Yeah, i know, i could ignore it, but in that case you don´t have to wonder, if anything strange happens.

Hi, i have to apologize, i somehow made a awful mistake, saying that it happens randomly. It does not! I perceived it in a wrong way anyhow, maybe because it happens in both directions, but it only happens with my "normal" layout, more precisely from

K:\Filme to L:\Web\neu

& ONLY THEN it will crash!

This are the two tabgroups

&

& now i remember, either the "L:\Web\neu" or "L:\Web" folder had, for no apparent reason, power mode view instead of details mode. I´ve changed that & saved it under "folder options", chosing the "for this folder only" option. I guess i have to rearrange all settings & resave them, which hopefully will solve the problem. I will post it then here, ift it worked out ok.

Thanks a lot!

now i deleted "normal" & "normal2", the both tab groups represented in the two screen shots & rebuilt them, it´s still crashing in both directions K: <-> L:, or any other combination with drive M:.

I have a internal PATA disk, which holds drives C - I, & an external USB-SATA-disk, which is drives K, L & M, which is suspicious. Seems to be a somewhat complex issue. (I even had a look in the NTFS security tabs of either drive, but to me it looks quite normal (i could post them anyway, if that helps).

Now i deleted "normal" & "normal2", & created two new tabs with new names, it still crashes.

But the very strangest thing of all: if i load the other tab group ("Go TABGROUPLOAD=group3 OPENINLEFT
Go TABGROUPLOAD=group4 OPENINRIGHT, which is the RMB loading a different initial set of tabs) & then navigate to the corresponding problematic combinations of K:, L:\ or M:\ drives & try it - there are no crashes at all! what the... :slight_smile:

Other posts from Abr which ended up in the wrong thread.

Note: We cannot merge threads, only split them, so if a post ends up in the wrong place, re-post it in the right place and let an admin know that the wrong post needs deleting.

[quote="abr"]after removing all "locks" from the tabs, there are no more crashes. I just found out.

On the other hand (showing that the PATA vs SATA approach was wrong) i can reproduce this bug with any drives, let´s say F:\ & H:, only by creating tabs which are locked (tested with the middle lock option, simple lock) & sending them to the opposite lister - > crash.

It is possibly in combination with one of the two new options i´m using most recently, tab_click_nofocus, because i use locked tabs quite a while & didn´t see that crash before.[/quote]

[quote="abr"]Hi,

i found the problem. It is not about PATA vs SATA Disks, i can now reproduce that bug with any drives!

It is because of the tabs being locked!
Any locked tabs will crash when trying to send them to the adjacent window. Furthermore i guess, that this only occurs using the tab_click_nofocus feature (which i use since ~ two days, that´s about when i noticed those issues).

I removed all locks & there is no crashing anymore.[/quote]

[quote="nudel"]Other posts from Abr which ended up in the wrong thread.

Note: We cannot merge threads, only split them, so if a post ends up in the wrong place, re-post it in the right place and let an admin know that the wrong post needs deleting.
[/quote]

Yeah, thx Nudel. :slight_smile:

Sorry but I still can't reproduce this here. If you can export your configuration and send it to me in a PM I can see if there's anything special about your setup that might be causing it.

yeah, done. :slight_smile: