Opus does strange things on My Documents

If I click on the folder "My Documents" I get the tree below and I see the files on the right. After about 2 seconds, the screen goes blank to reappear in VGA mode! Opus carries on working in that mode. When I exit, I have to reset my display back again.

If I get to My Documents via 'C:\ Documents and Settings//My Documents' it is fine.

It doesn't do it with any other folder, and its OK on Windows Explorer and also Power Desk Explorer.

Sometimes after this happens I get an error message "Can't register Document" in Word and to overcome this I reinstall SP2, so obviously some files are getting corrupted as well.

Clearly there is a mismatch of system files somewhere. I'm on XP-Pro SP2. I just wondered if anyone could suggest something.

Thanks

• Jerry

That sounds quite nasty...

Is there anything unusual in the folder tree below My Documents, e.g. a special folder/handler for a particular program you've installed?

Do you still get the problem if you move all your documents to a temporary folder, so that My Documents is empty when you go to it? (If so it may be worth disabling all Plugins, and/or the Description column and others which may require file inspection, to see if that helps.)

Ditto about what Nudel said about apps installing specialty items in the My Documents folder... Apps like Axialis Icon Workshop assign nice gleaming icons to their repository folders that get placed in My Docs.

Also, I'm wondering what happens when you try right clicking on My Documents and selecting Properties. Do you get the normal properties page that shows the tab which allows you to 'Move' the folder it points to? If not, it might be worth it to manually force de-registration of the namespace extension handler and then re-register it. See if the problem happens while registered/de-registered... I've never heard that doing this can cause any 'problems' so it might be worth a try:

To de-register
regsvr32.exe /u mydocs.dll
after which you should see a RegSvr32 informational popup message that says "DllUnregisterServer in mydocs.dll succeeded.".

To register
regsvr32.exe mydocs.dll
after which you should see a RegSvr32 informational popup message that says "DllRegisterServer in mydocs.dll succeeded.".