Opus doesn't follow directory links

I have restarted using Junctions. Junstions are the NTFS way of implementing symbolic links for directories. They are supported by some commandline-tools (for example the official resource kits and a free tool called Junction from SysInternals) and I have integrated junction creation and removal into my toolbar since a long time. Now I wanted to use them again and had to discover that newer versions of Opus (probably 8.0+ ?) do not follow junctions anymore. They appear as empty directiories instead of following to the target. I think this has to get fixed. Also, supplying a special colour setting in the folder view for junctions would be nice.

On my search for link/junctions tools I found this:
elsdoerfer.info/ntfslink/?page=faq

The overlay icons supplied by the tool work great with Opus. What doesn't work is the right mousebutton drag menu. That menu also doesn't work for the archiving utility I use ("extract here" functionality) but then I considered this an issue of the archiving utility. Now I've got two tools where their drag menu items don't appear in Opus so I start to consider this an Opus issue!

So this makes for two bug reports and one suggestion in this thread :wink:
And since my last bug report to the form on the DOpus.com site didn't even yield an automated answer I won't post this bug there.

Opus seems to follow junctions fine for me when I just tried it:

The only things I can think of which may have changed this on your system are the All Folders filetype (does it still run simply Go on the double-click event?) and whether or not Opus is running in Explorer Replacement mode. But I'd be surprised if the former was changed or the latter made any difference.

When you say you've got two tools where the right-click drag menus don't appear, have you turned on Preferences / Miscellaneous / Windows Integration: Hide Windows items on file context menus (shift overrides)? If so you'll have to hold Shift down when you do the right-click drag operation (or you can probably add use the Force-ContextMenu tip in the tutorials sectionof the site to add the individual menus back while keeping others away, if desired).

If that's not the case and the menus do show up in Explorer then I guess the two programs are adding their right-click drag menus in a way that isn't compatible with Opus. What is the archiver you mention?

What was the bug you reported? If you get no response at all it could be a mail problem or just a mis-typed email address. (I get the odd email from people asking me questions that I can't reply to. :frowning: )

The Junction issue seems to be gone after updating to 8.2.0.2. Perhaps that was just some minor glitch. Can't see why it passed. I hadn't actively used the junctions for quite a long time (had created them ages ago and just used them via background tasks/script) and was simply surprised to see some of my junctioned directories not being followed. I just assumed this to be an Opus problem. Update => problem gone and no idea why!

The drag context menu problem remains - but not as I said in the first place. The menu items for PowerArchiver (quite widely used...) weren't there since some months. I even dropped in some selfmade replacements via the Opus filetype configuration. Now the PowerArchiver ones are back in when I checked with an archive minutes ago. But the items for NTFS Link are still missing. I'm puzzled... Could this be some +1 or -1 problem where Opus misses to display the last entry that Windows (btw. XP Pro SP1) created???

For your suggestions: dblclk is just "Go" and the hiding of the Windows stuff is not checked so this shouldn't be the source of my problem.

PS: Any idea for another program creating drag menu entries? Perhaps installing one activates the showing of the NTFS Link items g

On a side note: Played around a bit with NTFS Links: It's great!

It changes the (unwanted) behaviour of Windows deleting the contents of the junction target when deleting the junction to first unlinking the junction and then only deleting the resulting ordinary empty directory. This way junctions behave like symbolic directory links in Linux.

Furthermore: The overlay icons are nice to mark files as junctions or hardlinks (but I repeat the above mentioned idea of an option for defining a special text colour for links/junctions).

And (bugger!) I still couldn't get those drag menu items to work. Perhaps somebody else could install NTFS Link and tell me if the drag menu items work in their Opus.

I just did and I can confirm the same thing in that drag and drop in Opus does not show the NTFS Link submenu. Opus does have NTFS Link commands on its FILE/NEW menu however, but they do not seem to do anything.

There is one way it works though on my machine. If I create a brand new standard folder with Opus, then right click over that brand new folder I do get the NTFS Link submenu. And doing that will allow me to create a junction.

I tried this mostly out of curiosity. I've heard a lot of discussion about NTFS junctions and reparse points in the past few years, but I've never experimented with them myself until now. I'm not so sure if I want to use junctions or not at this point but at least I finally got around to checking them out.

Thanks a lot for a second opinion. So it's not just my "totally silly computer having problems nobody else can reproduce" :wink:

The NTFS Link menu in the ordinary context menu (when not dragging) work fine. It's just that one has to manually choose a target when using this. Dragging allows to create a junction just by moving an icon which is a whole lot more intuitive. I guess I have to manually create this menu item again. Luckily Opus allow me to do this but the problem is still an isse...

Junctions are filling a serious gap in Windows filesystems. The reason why nobody uses them seems to be the fact that their management is completely unsupported in the GUI and that they suffer some problems (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point). Some of the problems (e.g. the "deleting a junction deletes the contents at the original position when emptying the recycle bin") are fixed after installing NTFS Link, which makes them finally usable. I use them to spread very large directory hierarchies across several harddisks. This could be done via dynamic volumes, but I think junctions are a better approach to this problem.

Additional info! Here's how to manually create such a drag menu item: Got to the filetype settings, then doubleclick on "All Folders". Choose the "Drag menu" tab (just guessing, I'm using the german version) and add a new entry "Create junction here" with this command:

Runmode hide C:\Tools\Junction.exe {destpath$}{file$} {filepath$}
Of course you have to adjust the path to Junction.exe and you have to download it from the SysInternals page (sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html).

It's worth mentioning that junction points can confuse Opus as well as many other programs (including Explorer). I wouldn't recommend using them without a compelling reason.

Off the top of my head, Opus gets confused in two ways: [ol][li] Change notification doesn't work when you're looking at a directory through a junction point. You have to hit F5 to see changes made to the directory and files within it.[/li]
[li] Free-space and space-usage calculations can be misleading.[/li][/ol]If neither of those matter, and you're not bothered by the confusion it may cause other programs as well, then go for it. Just wanted to warn people in advance before they start creating junctions all over the place.

I checked and yes, it's not auto-updating. Is this unfixable? On the other side, if this issue was in there for a long time, then I just have managed to totally "work around it" since I didn't notice it until you told me. I usually work in the original locations and the junctions are just there for background stuff (parsed by scripts...). With NTFS Links this might be changing, so it'd be nice to fix the problem.

I guess this is "by design", as Microsoft would say :wink: Of course I can use junctions to easily create "10TB sized" directories, but I know this and at least the free space display for the drive still is correct.

I second the recommendation to only use junctions in well-defined places. For example, I use them to link several directories from different volumes into one folder on a drive which I then scan to create a media database. This database is used via web. So my mouse almost never touches the junction contents...