Opus & Explorer crash when double-clicking mp4 files

I download and view mp4 files from YouTube. Have had no problem viewing these files until I purchased the update to version 12.9 64. Now, after the files download; I try to open the file and the Opus window closes and reopens but will not open the mp4 file. Just started having this problem in last 10 days. Did not happen when I first installed the new version. Still running 11 on my desktop with no problem. Updated version on my laptop is the one I am having trouble with. Is there a fix for this or an update?

Are we talking about displaying mp4 files in the viewer pane, or about double-clicking them to launch a separate video player?

In both cases, the crash is going to be caused by a third party component, not Opus itself (Opus has no video player code inside it, but can use or launch video-playback components installed on the system), but the steps for diagnosing the cause will be different.

(It's most likely going to be a video codec which is crashing. It could also be antivirus or something like that, but that is less likely.)

Have you checked what happens in File Explorer?

Is any crash dump generated?

Yes I am using a third party viewer that I have used for a long time. And yes, I have tried viewing the files from File Explorer with same result. Would it be beneficial to update my video codecs or maybe change the default viewer? Have tried opening with antivirus turned off. Same result. Don't have a crash dump file.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mary

[I've updated the thread subject to help other people looking for similar problems.]

So both Opus and Explorer crash (or at least restart for some reason)?

Is the player itself up-to-date?

Have you tried using a different player?

Which player is it? Have you searched for other people having the same problem with that player, or asked for support from the people who make it? If it affects Explorer as well then it can't be a problem with Opus, and the player seems like the common component so far (although it could turn out to be video codecs and not the player itself).