Opus Freezing (Not Responding)

If you've only seen one crash so far then I'd recommend leaving the animations on as they probably aren't the real cause of it. But if they keep happening, try turning them off to see if it helps.

Whatever happens, please send any crash dumps as they may help us locate where the problem is and either fix it (if it's in Opus) or help you know what's causing it (if it's somewhere else).

One thing I've just noticed: You have a very old version of Notepad++ according to the dump. (12/May/2014)

Certain old versions of Notepad++ had a bug that caused crashes in other programs.

Notepad++ fixed this problem very quickly in an update, but a lot of people still have the old problem version installed even today. (I'd love to know why, if you can shed any light on it! Is something else installing it and needs updating, or something like that? Maybe we can get in touch with them.)

Please try updating Notepad++ in case the old version's shell extension is causing all the problems in this thread.

Ok. I updated Notepad++, but the version I had was not that old. I had v 7.2.2 from 12/2016 according to Programs and Features.I updated it to the most recent 7.3.2. I don't know where to check the "Modules" screen you have above.

I will keep running animations and upload any crashes. One thing that I can think of now - the freezing and crashing I have noticed has been occurring when changing folders or clicking a dropdown to change folders (e.g. favorites). So it could be something related to animations.

1 Like

I just found and fixed something similar, which may be the same thing you were seeing. There was a bug where if you were a few levels deep inside an archive's subdirs, then went up until you were at the archive's parent folder, then there could be a crash on the folder change. (Archives would be the main trigger but there are some other combinations of folder types which could probably do it as well.)

We'll have a fix for that in the next update. But if you do get more crashes, please keep sending the dumps so we can investigate them. It's always possible the two are unrelated.

OK. Thanks. I will upload any future crashes to this thread.

This is an old thread, but I have been suffering from Directory Opus not responding for a while and have fixed it following advice I found here.

I use Directory Opus Lite (v12.21 x64) on Win10. Symptoms were:
DO locking up, not responding (never while actually in use, but randomly when I came back to it).
Sometimes the Folder Tree panes wouldn’t work but the file panes would still respond.
Right click was always slow (I did not realise that was a symptom until I read this thread!).
Sometimes when not responding DO could be terminated by clicking on the ‘x’ top right. If so DO would not start again until the computer had been restarted. Sometimes it might start partially but the panes would not populate.
Sometimes when not responding DO could be killed from Task Manager. If so DO would not start again until the computer had been restarted.
Occasionally the whole computer would freeze, requiring the power button to be held down to force a power down.

Having read this thread, I downloaded Shellexview, and took the nuclear option of disabling all non-Microsoft shell extensions (100s of them). I have had no problems with DO since. I also have not noticed any differences in any other programs.

Thanks Leo.

3 Likes

again, old thread but i was struggling with much not responding 4 days into my 30 day trial and it was pretty unusable for me. i liked what i had seen however and investigated.
disabling approcimately half of my right-click extensions seems to have done the trick (even though i was getting it when clicking the top menus entries also).
if the smooth tunning continues it'll be license time soon for sure.

2 Likes