Opus in Windows 7

I realize that, but that also limits the usability of Opus severly :confused:

[quote="powlette"]I almost reinstalled windows 7 beta after installing opus because I thought it hosed my machine. After installing with the default options, windows becomes almost unusable. No system folder will open including control panel to uninstall it/games/etc etc.. I was finally able to uninstall it by setting control panel to show on the start menu, expand control panel and starting the programs and features applet from there.

[/quote]

I don't think your slowdown was caused by DOpus. I have experienced the same slowdown after a couple of weeks of heavy use of Windows 7 installed clean on a new I7 machine. Directory access slows then stops, followed by IE also hanging. Opera still works fine at this point, even with 50 open tabs. Vuze/Azureus gradually hangs also, even after increasing java memory.
It would be interesting to find the common cause of the slowdown... Did your slowdown remain cured after removing DOpus? One suspicion I have here is the use of third party virus sw - even though Win Defender seems to be off... The system logs don't present anything obvious to me except lots of jraid device driver timeouts although raid functions are not enabled. The drives are new and were tested at install and show no obvious problems.
I'll probably try DOpus 64 anyway, but there's no reason not to expect the same problems as with the system tools...
Any further answers on your end?

any more word on this?
I really miss my Opus. Anyone install it and works with the Build 7057?

News on what? Opus works fine on Windows 7, aside from Explorer Replacement mode which you can turn off for now.

[quote="blueboybob"]any more word on this?
I really miss my Opus. Anyone install it and works with the Build 7057?[/quote]

So far 7057 is working without the slowdown in the public beta. Opus is OK except for replacement mode..
slightly off topic:
Network sharing is more problem rather than less now.
FWIW, IE8 is nowmore compatible. The whole system will turn to mud and stay that way, however, if a dvd burn fails or a bricked dvd burn is put in the drive. So far I'm making more coasters than ever before.

Could there be a firewall/security program blocking dopus.exe from network connections on your machine? I just tried on my Win7 virtual machine and FTP transfers work fine using Opus (7meg file uploaded and downloaded okay).

Try turning on PASV mode in Opus if it's not on already. (Note: If you're using the Quick Connect dialog then the PASV checkbox doesn't seem to do anything at the moment. Use the FTP Address Book to change the PASV mode.)[/quote]

Oops, never looked to see if someone responded to my problem :slight_smile:

No extra firewalls but Windows and it's been turned on/off. I still can't download large files. Even small files. It'll only get the first few KB of the file and just stop, thinking it's finished. Uploads are completely fine no matter how large. PASV was already set but tried without. These are settings that worked fine under XP shrug

Oh well, I'll wait till 7 is released before I get worried. The bottom right hover/show desktop doesn't work for me either in 7 so I'm guessing it's all a driver thing or a bad install of 7

[quote="newguy"]Powlette - Try turning off Replace Explorer, that should give you access to your system folders again and Opus should run fine.

[/quote]

I had no problem with Control Panel, etc. in public beta 7000. Later, however this problem appeared.

Control Panel disappeared sometime after installing 7057 and dopus 64. Dopus option settings changes did not help, nor did attmepts to uninstall other proggies.

I checked around fairly thoroughly. Similar errors existed with Vista64. I found found video drivers as a possible fault - Nvidia 1.81 for Win7. Rolled back several times - to the os install, no good. Did upgrade install of 7068 build, and the error survived the upgrade! Looks like our old friend fdisk is still the answer...

[quote="lhinckley"][quote="newguy"]Powlette - Try turning off Replace Explorer, that should give you access to your system folders again and Opus should run fine.

[/quote]

I had no problem with Control Panel, etc. in public beta 7000. Later, however this problem appeared.

Control Panel disappeared sometime after installing 7057 and dopus 64. Dopus option settings changes did not help, nor did attmepts to uninstall other proggies.

I checked around fairly thoroughly. Similar errors existed with Vista64. I found found video drivers and antivirus as possible faults. Changed drivers, tried several antivirus programs. Rolled back several times - to the os install, no good. Did upgrade install of 7068 build, and the error survived the upgrade! Looks like our old friend fdisk is still the answer...[/quote]

OK - this one has gotten so convoluted that one might doubt the usefulness of the solution, but here goes:

Just for grins, I changed Dopus to Explorer Replacement mode again. No control panel. Then I set Dopus to no replacement mode. I changed the system control panel display preference again to list mode, and control panel contents did appear as a list! I added "show link on desktop" (right click option in start menu). Surprise - the link on the desktop worked to display Control Panel in a system window. I changed the startup menu preference back to "Display as a link", and that also worked. Perhaps Dopus registry changes worked this time, or the sequence of changes was the key. Maybe back to normal...

System:
I7 920, GB X58UD5 v1, nVIDIA 7600GT/ForceWare 181.71, Win7x64 7068, Panda AV 8.00 beta3

:arrow_right: A footnote - The Dopus replacement mode switches work now - If a Control Panel window is open and minimized and replacement mode is switched on, clicking the Control Panel item in the start menu will not restore the window. Switching it off again with the minimized window still in the tray lets the window restore by clicking the startup menu item. This seems to be proper behavior.

any update to this
seems Windows 7 has gone RC

does the windows explorer replacement issue work ?
i will be running it virtually tomorrow
and update if it works !

[quote="ReDeeMerRSA"]any update to this
seems Windows 7 has gone RC

does the windows explorer replacement issue work ?
i will be running it virtually tomorrow
and update if it works ![/quote]

Turning off windows replacement mode in win7-7068 works ok. DOpus is a bit hobbled without it, however. Running replacement mode will obviously require a bit of work at GPsoft.

I will try it also in win7-rc1 in a day or two when it is released officially, since the versions of win7-7100 now circulating may not be the same.

Opus seems to work fine in RC1 so long as you turn off Explorer Replacement. Same as the previous Windows builds, really.

If you upgrade from build 7000 to 7100 then you should see that tooltip/tab problem is fixed.

The other day, as I was looking at RC1 anyway for my own pet project, I had a brief look at the Explorer Replacement stuff in case it was something trivial to fix via a registry setting or whatever. Doesn't look like it, though. It seems Microsoft have removed the method Opus used to use to run Explorer for folders it doesn't handle. So it'll probably require that GPSoftware re-work the mechanism to some degree.

Same sort of thing was required when Vista came out as I remember. Windows doesn't have a proper, supported way to replace the default file manager (Explorer) like it does the default web browser (Internet Explorer), Media Player (WMP) etc. Someone call the DOJ/EU. :slight_smile:

RC 7100 Still has the same problem
Dopus explorer replacement does not work
no control panel etc

That's what I just said.

i know :slight_smile:
just confirming

I really, really hope that the opus update supports libraries. I know that they are around in vista but they were mostly hidden. In Win7 they are right there in explorer, in fact the documents folder is a library and contains the "my documents" and "public documents" folders by default.

They are really useful and I they would be a big lose when moving from explorer to dopus (never thought i'd miss something from explorer by moving to opus lol). Right now I can't think of any other reason to use explorer apart from support for libraries.

[quote="reck"]I really, really hope that the opus update supports libraries. I know that they are around in vista but they were mostly hidden. In Win7 they are right there in explorer, in fact the documents folder is a library and contains the "my documents" and "public documents" folders by default.

They are really useful and I they would be a big lose when moving from explorer to dopus (never thought i'd miss something from explorer by moving to opus lol). Right now I can't think of any other reason to use explorer apart from support for libraries.[/quote]

um... scrap collections?

Unfortunately collections are not the same as virtual folders. Believe me once you start using them you don't want to go back to using just normal folders.

That's why I don't want to have to choose between all the power and customisation of dopus or the virtual folders and inbuilt indexed search of explorer.

Ideally opus would be able to tap into the windows 7/vista indexed search engine and virtual folders and integrate them into opus. Then there would be no reason to use explorer at all.

if dopus could do that, they could take over the world !! :smiling_imp:

reck, can you please try to explain to me the power of Libraries in Windows 7? i don't see the appeal. i know where my files are, and with Opus, i can get anywhere with just a few keystrokes. how do Libraries improve productivity?

Oh yes!

For a long time opus was miles ahead of explorer and explorer offered nothing extra by using it. But starting in vista with the introduction of indexed search and virtual folders (or libraries) it actually offers something opus doesn't. In win7 we are seeing that they have exposed even more of the virtual folder system and as such will most likely be used by mainstream users and not just power users. This seems like as good as time as any to take a look at these two areas to see if it's possible to integrate the win7 indexed search and virtual folder system straight into opus.

Using win7 libraries with directory opuses viewing filters and display options would be the ultimate combination.

On a separate note it sounds like the final release of win 7 is only a few months away now assuming nothing critical pops up. The RC is extremely stable and some people have even been using the beta as their "main" os with no problems. This is something that would have been very risky with previous versions of windows.