Opus Portable

Is there a reason you're worried about transferring it between USB devices frequently? Once its on a USB device you can keep running it from that even if you reinstall Windows.

If you need to move the install to another USB device you can always install Opus normally, do an export of the default config, then copy the config from your old USB device to the new one. That should work and be fairly quick to do.

thanks for the suggestion leo, but i use Opus constantly, i don't want to have to stick my thumb drive in whenever i want to use it...

i'll just be content reinstalling it every few weeks. i'll survive :slight_smile:

Yes. It has to be removable and plugged in via USB, I believe. (Not sure if USB HDDs count or not.)...[/quote]When I run the export to my USB flash drive, my USB-connected hard drive is among the devices offered as the target.

well now, that changes everything. i was thinking about moving my external drive into my case anyway since my computer's warranty is almost up and i can finally break the darn stickers and bust the thing open to clean it.

i wonder - if i exported to the drive while it's in its external USB enclosure, then put the drive inside my case, will Opus still run? it won't be an external drive anymore. i'm guessing the reason it can't be transferred once it's been exported is because it has some sort of hardware check built in to make sure it's on the same drive...

hrm...

I have been using the USB export feature for a while and it worked well, but I noticed that in the latest version you don't seem to be able to import your preferences from the USB version any more.

Before I exported my preferences on my PC and manually imported them into the USB version, but the Backup/Restore option is now greyed out.

Is there any solution to this? It used to work fine...

I don't think that will work unless the drive is still connected via USB. (Which is possible, either using spare internal USB header or by having a USB cable from the back of the PC loop back into the case... I've seen hardware do that (often HTPC stuff like front-panel displays) so it's possible. Not ideal for a harddrive, though.

[quote="mojo-chan"]I noticed that in the latest version you don't seem to be able to import your preferences from the USB version any more.

Before I exported my preferences on my PC and manually imported them into the USB version, but the Backup/Restore option is now greyed out.[/quote]

I'm not sure how it's meant to work, and never tried to do that myself, but if it's changed then it might be worth asking GPSoftware if it was on purpose or an accident when something else was being done. If it wasn't meant to be changed then I'm sure they'll put it back.

Meanwhile, I think you should be able to copy the config to the USB stick directly. If you want to install a config backup just rename the extension to .zip and then copy the contents over the old config on the USB stick.

Apologies but wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or continue with this one...

I have recently upgraded to a new 64bit PC. Previously I used the 32bit version and exported DOpus to my memory stick for use in work on a 32bit PC. What happens now if I export from my home PC (64 bit) to my memory stick to use on a 32bit machine in work...? Is this ok...? I somehow fear not!

When you do a USB export from the 64-bit version of Opus it will ask you whether you want to write a 32-bit or 64-bit version to the USB stick.

(That's one of the reasons that the 64-bit installer is bigger. Not only are 64-bit binaries typically bigger than 32-bit ones but it includes a copy of 32-bit Opus in case you want to export it.)

Cheers Leo, never noticed that before.