Opus: "The Other Manual"

To be honest, I mostly use the native Everything interface as well but the ability to create a refined Opus collection comes in handy often enough for me to have written a front end, plus I enjoy a bit of coding from time to time so it presented a good excuse. I'm also a regular user of Agent Ransack and until you mentioned it I wasn't aware of the dual personality with FileLocator.

I think a large part of the "Great Features of Opus you Never Use" debate is that there are so many of them and speaking for myself I can only remember a subset well enough to use them with confidence. This forum is a constant reminder of neato things that I really ought to use.

Recent rain has helped contain the big fires in NSW and VIC and the smoke haze in Sydney is not as bad as it was. However, I wouldn't want to be an asthmatic or have any other breathing problem. More rain is the answer. Bring it on....

1 Like

Glad to hear you're not too affected by the smoke.

With Ransack, do you have a button in Opus where you launch with -d {sourcepath} to prepopulate with the source folder, or do you do something more complex with the command-line options?

Nothing complicated, I just prepopulate with -d {sourcepath} and do the rest from the UI.

Just finished adapting www.DearOpus.com for mobile. It was not very usable before because of the three columns.

First time doing this for me, it was hell and the words to explain the interface at the top are a bit clunky. Design is not my forte, so if anyone has suggestions, they're more than welcome!

4 Likes

nice site you've created. much info which is very useful to this new kid on the block.

1 Like

Site appears to be down, which is a real shame for those of us that can't afford to upgrade from Opus 12 lite.

1 Like

Had to take it offline for the time being as I was getting too many mails from people asking for an update for DO13. I'm just unable to dedicate the time at the moment, and didn't like the idea of an obsolete site attracting all these requests.

3 Likes

Would it be a possible intermediate solution to make it temporarily available until we save it offline? Even on a temporary domain, without a search index. I still use the old dopus and although I read through your site once, I still have a bunch of bookmarks from there that I would like to go through :confused:

There are many great explanations and ideas on that site that are not outdated at all.

I really appreciate the effort you put into those tutorials.

Hi,

would it be possible to leave the disclaimer and add a link with something like "I want to access the v12 version and I won't bother the owner asking for updates about v13" ? :slight_smile:

Or if you have a direct link to provide us :wink:
thank you :+1:

2 Likes

"Opus: The secret manual THEY don't want you to know about" :+1:

2 Likes

Hi, @playful!

I too was going to revisit DearOpus.com for the scripting tutorial and was disappointed to find it offline. I'd hoped to be able to reference the Wayback Machine version (which surely no one would expect to be up to date with the latest release version?) and was doubly disappointed to find it excluded from their collection.

I'd urge you to consider a banner/disclaimer and leaving the pages up — or perhaps .ZIPping up an offline version so folks don't stumble in and make assumptions about how current the info is without having to go to a little trouble to get at the original pages. They remain a great additioanl resource and are much appreciated — whether or not you're comfortable making them available at the moment. Thanks for all the work you put into them.

Hi guys, it's nice to hear that some of you enjoyed the website. I'm grateful for the ton of enthusiastic messages I've received over the years.

Regarding a possible resurrection, the hard drive where I probably have a backup is in a different county, it will be months until I have access.

To bring some perspective, the site had been quasi stagnant for some time, and when GPsoft eliminated its affiliate program that removed remaining incentives to invest time in it, as I'm behind on a dozen competing projects.

The transition to DO13 brought the question to a head. First, I couldn't make the time to thoroughly research new features, let alone make a guide for it, and didn't like the idea of leaving an obsolete manual lying around, with the inevitable quantity of mail requesting an updated version.

Second, I'm not sure yet when or whether I'll upgrade to DO13. I've always like to pay for great software, but haven't yet bought a single piece of software on a subscription model and don't feel in a rush to start.

That's it in a nutshell. Will revisit the question when I get to that hard drive.
Thank you for the kind words and sorry to disappoint.

4 Likes

I was hoping you didn't delete the files, and maybe you moved them to a subfolder.
That would have been handy :slight_smile:

We'll wait, thank you :muscle: !!

Thanks for dropping by to comment, @playful! Despite the disappointment, I can appreciate the thought process behind your taking the site offline.

Like @megosu, I had hoped the files were just tucked away in a hidden directory at your main domain. Reaching for DearOpus.com and finding it gone makes me wonder about archiving other pages from your site (like your excellent guide to domain auctions). :thinking: There may be benefit in letting some of those pages get crawled by the Internet Archive, if it's not something you're strongly opposed to.

As an aside, I also feel the weird vibes that emanate from subscription models — though I don't mind it so much in the case of Opus. The developers seem to be shooting especially straight about their rationale for embracing a subscription. And they're leaving the door open for a one-time purchase with a year's worth of free updates, which could get a reluctant user to a nice, stable version of Opus if xe wants to skip some minor updates and return when there are enough new features to entice xir back to shell out for a new version. Like cloud backups, subscriptions are something I was once wary of but have warmed up to in certain contexts.

I'm sad to see dearopus.com go. it was partly your sight that got me do start using it. I've made my own toolbars and menus, borrowing and learning a great deal from the playful toolbars you had there. still learning.

1 Like

If anything (which appears too late now) could perhaps have made the site a public repo and let someone take the rudder as maintainer, thereby opening the door for multiple contributors to send pull requests. Something like GitHub.

Personally though, this very alive and kicking forum is my favorite source of DOpus science. Nothing prevents people from posting tips and tricks here, as far as I'm aware.

1 Like

Accurate! I'm not a "hang out reading forums" techie but when I started digging around here I've learned about so many more awesome things doupus can do. And there's more that's still over my head