Opus uses Internet Explorer icon on Start Bar

I am running Windows 10 on my laptop and have Internet Explorer as a quick link on my Start Bar. I use IE vs Edge for most browsing because of a third party password manager that will not work in Edge. When I open Directory Opus it activates as the IE icon on the Start Bar. It runs normally and works fine except the Directory Opus icon does not show on the Start Bar and I have to shut down Directory Opus to open IE. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Directory Opus. I have changed the Settings but nothing makes a difference. I also run Directory Opus on my desktop also using Windows 10 and have the normal Directory Opus icon on the Start Bar. Suggestions and hopefully a fix please.

Try running Clear Icon Cache.

Unpinning and repinning the icon sometimes helps as well.

(The underlying issue is a bug in the taskbar rather than something Opus is doing. It can happen to other apps as well.)

1 clear icon cache prgm referenced did not work, crashes and locks up computer

2 downloaded similar prgm that did clear/rebuild Windows 10 icon cache; also deleted IE icon from start bar; performed hard reboot

3 did not help; DO opens as IE icon even after deleting IE icon on start bar and clearing cache

4 noted other computer is running DO 11.19 without this problem

5 uninstalled DO 12 and reinstalled DO 11.19; no problems with IE icon

6 certainly appears problem is with DO 12

What now???

The problem is not actually with Opus (there is no IE icon inside Opus at all), but a bug in the Windows shell which can (and does) affect any program.

Clearing the icon cache usually fixes things, but if that isn't working then I don't know what to do. That said, make sure the icon cache really was cleared as a lot of instructions/tools for clearing it are incorrect or haven't been updated for Windows 10.

The crash when using Clear Icon Cache may be a symptom of another problem, such as something preventing Explorer and the taskbar from restarting. Running it from Safe Mode might work, or disabling shell extensions using ShellExView, or clearing the cache as soon as you have rebooted with only a minimal amount of software running since the boot.

Thanks for the help. Seems that both the iconcache* and thumbcache* files have to cleared to get rid of deep seated corruption. Took awhile but found a "Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder" download that would do both.

DO12 is now running fine again and I appreciate the assistance in getting it running.