Opus using 7GB of RAM part 3

OK I am running test build 5630 now. Fingers crossed.

Happy for mojo-chan to get the free upgrade :slight_smile:

I have upgraded my problematic machine and am installing the update now.

Are we right to assume this is fixed now?

The fix that was in the test version is also part of 11.13.2 beta.

Well, it hasn't failed yet, but it can take a while sometimes... Touch wood, fingers crossed it seems okay so far. Out of interest, can you say what it was? I'm just interested to understand how an RDP session could interact with other software in this way.

It was quite obscure. RDP sessions trigger a system-wide env-var change. There are some legacy env-vars dating back to MS-DOS times which have illegal names and confused some code. The two together resulted in a memory leak. The leak was normally tiny (a few bytes), but grew each time it happened, so if you disconnected and reconnected to RDP a lot of times, eventually it grew very large. (Anything else that broadcasted system-wide env-var changes could also trigger it, but it's very rare for things to do that more than once or twice per boot.)

As I said since 2012, it was related to RDP. :slight_smile:

Glad you found it - it was a real bugbear.

Thanks leo, that's interesting. I get it occasionally on another machine that is always the RDP client, rather than the server. It gets put in sleep mode a lot rather than rebooted and it is quite rare, so I suppose it could just be occasional env-var changes building up. It was so rare I was never able to spot any common causes, and it's not related to opening and closing the RDP client. Hopefully you have fixed that now too, but it only happened maybe twice a year.

Btw. - I stopped using RDP from my Mac to my Windows system because of this issue - I'd be happy to let it run for a while if more eyes / testing are useful. For me, the problem occurred pretty much every day or two.

So far so good. I think you may have nailed it leo! Well done. I would say this is provisionally resolved pending further confirmation (and fingers crossed :slight_smile: )

Looking back over the threads relating to this issue it seems mojo-chan has contributed the most and fully deserves a free upgrade. Other contributors have been Stormblade, MrC, gmit, onedot3, Drac144, yours truly and maybe others. Thank you all.

I now feel confident in trying to wean myself off TC and on to Directory Opus :thumbsup:

Thanks beatbox20, but I'm not sure bloody minded persistence is necessarily a positive character trait :slight_smile:

Well, my trial of Opus 11 is just about to expire and it hasn't failed. I'd say this problem seems to be fixed.

Same here. I've been hammering RDP over the past 2 weeks and dopus hasn't reacted at all. Case closed.

Hope they come through with the upgrade for you mojo-chan.

Er, yes guys, Leo? Any chance of that upgrade, as I can't actually use the fix with V10.

I'm on 11.14 and had numerous rdp sessions open and got this.

Nooooo... So it's not fixed? Maybe there is a similar issue somewhere else in the code.

I'm not convinced it's back. :slight_smile: I am still on 11.13.1 and have no issue. I know this has been a fickle problem but I would be surprised if it would coincidentally disappear at the same time that leo made the change?! I guess stranger things have happened...

exitstageleft - check the exe stack with Process Explorer/Process Hacker and report back

user32.DLL!TranslateMessageEx+0x2bf <---Process Hacker doesn't show this one
user32.DLL!SfmDxSetSwapChainStats+0x1a
user32.DLL!GetMessageW+0x2a
dopus.exe+0x53d18e
dopus.exe+0x539044
dopus.exe+0x53874c
dopus.exe!DummyExeFunction1ToAvoidSymbolConfusion+0x215380
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

Leo, was that what gave you a clue?

I will upgrade to 11.14 and see what happens.

Unfortunately I can't test it any further because my trial ran out. Do you think it is RDP related?

I got another low mem messagebox today...
I was able to grab this..
I also had 2 rdp windows opened through a SecureLink Enterprise vpn thru chrome.

Let me know if you need any more information. I'll help as best I can.

[quote="beatbox20"]I'm not convinced it's back. :slight_smile: I am still on 11.13.1 and have no issue. I know this has been a fickle problem but I would be surprised if it would coincidentally disappear at the same time that leo made the change?! I guess stranger things have happened...

exitstageleft - check the exe stack with Process Explorer/Process Hacker and report back

[/quote]

Sorry, I just saw this after I posted previously.. I'll try and grab it next time.

Leo, any updates or comments?