Ordered by "Modified" missing recently modified folders

Noticing a strange thing. I keep a certain folder in descending order of how recently the folder (or it's contents) were modified. I notice that even though I've either added a few file in some folders (or modified a file in those folders) it stays way down on the list instead of right up there. Any thoughts?

Thank you - running 12.28 x 64 version

I'll be grateful for any help. Not a technical person here.

Thanks in advance

Does the timestamp change if you push F5 to refresh?

What kind of drive is it? If it’s a network drive, some types of NAS may not update folder timestamps when new files are created in them.

Windows also only updates a folder’s modified timestamp when a file is added directly below the folder. Modifying a sub-folder won’t change the timestamp of its parent folder. Editing an existing file also won’t change the parent folder’s timestamp (unless a temporary file is made in the same place as part if saving the new version); folder timestamps are not that useful on Windows, although there are script columns which can provide fully recursive “newest file timestamp” columns for folders in Opus.

1 Like

Thank you for replying most appreciated

Does the timestamp change if you push F5 to refresh?
**** I tried that and it doesn't change the time stamp

What kind of drive is it? If it’s a network drive, some types of NAS may not update folder timestamps when new files are created in them.
**** In this particular case it is a NAS drive (Unraid server)

Windows also only updates a folder’s modified timestamp when a file is added directly below the folder. Modifying a sub-folder won’t change the timestamp of its parent folder. Editing an existing file also won’t change the parent folder’s timestamp (unless a temporary file is made in the same place as part if saving the new version);
***** Ohhhhhhhh so that MAY be it ....... the new file was added to a SUBfolder not the main folder. Shown below is the list of subfolders in that main folder that was not updating and as you rightly said, the subfolder timestamp has been updated but not the main folder's. Is this purely a NAS issue? I tried this on a C: folder and added a new file to it and the same thing happened. Is there a way around this

folder timestamps are not that useful on Windows, although there are script columns which can provide fully recursive “newest file timestamp” columns for folders in Opus.
***** Is there a way to have a folder organized such that the folders which have the newest files (even if in sub folders) moves to the top???

Once again, thank you you seem to have picked up the problem immediately. Now for the solution (if any) ....... :slight_smile:

And this bit "script columns which can provide fully recursive “newest file timestamp” columns for folders in Opus" went over my head !! If that's the solution kindly please help !

It requires Opus Pro, but should do what you need:

I would only turn on the column in folders you need it, since it has to read all the subdirectories to gather the information each time it is updated.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. So how do I upgrade to "Pro" and then does this script need to be installed or is it sort of built into the program?

Also, regarding the above point you made, how slow is the update each time? I'm gathering it'll depend on how many files and folders but still, does it 'hang' the system when it's updating or is it still pretty fast. Thank you in advance

It worked! Brilliant, thank you very much.

1 Like

Looks like you're all set already, but in case anyone else needs the same info:

Can be done via Light to Pro Upgrade for just the price difference between the two.

Needs installing, but it's very simple to do. Instructions are in the post about the script.

Speed should be similar to the amount of time it takes to calculate sub-folder sizes (Edit > Calculate Folder Sizes, or Ctrl+K on the keyboard.)

1 Like