Out of sorts - filename sorting bug?

Hi folks!

Using DOpus 8.1.0.8 on WindowsXP, but have noticed this on all 8.x versions...

I am a weather geek, and often download sequences of satellite images for local study. The images have filenames of the form "200507070800.gif" (date and time). an example of the sources I get these files from would be atmos.washington.edu/cgi-bin/list.cgi?ir4km

Once the images are here on my hard drive, I open the folder in DOpus - any mode, but I normally use 'details' - but find that I can not get it to properly sort the files by filename, they seem to sort in a pseudo random manner, a short sample excerpted below from a folder containing 166 files:

200507070800.gif
200507070745.gif
200507070845.gif
200507070815.gif
200507062230.gif
200507062200.gif
200507062245.gif
200507062215.gif
200507062330.gif
200507062300.gif
200507070715.gif
200507070730.gif
200507070415.gif
200507070830.gif
(...)

This doesn't happen in Windows Explorer or any other program that displays lists of filenames. Am I missing something (wouldn't be the first time) or is this indeed a "feature"?

Thanks,

Bob

resource.dopus.com/modules/newbb ... st_id=2402

[quote]
nudel wrote:
resource.dopus.com/modules/newbb ... st_id=2402[/quote]

Hello Leo,

Thank you for the link! I read through it, tried different combinations of the numeric and word sorting options - but alas, I'm still getting the strange sorting behavior.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Bob ^,,^

In the thread Nudel pointed you to, 'my' particular scenario was explained and addressed when disabling the numeric sort option... but you seem to have a variation on what was happening to AllOlli - who started that thread - the last post in which one of the GPSoft guys acknowledged that AllOlli's example was being incorrectly sorted. So I would open up a support ticket on GPSoft's website at the bottom of this page - http://www.gpsoft.com.au/Support.html.

[quote]
steje wrote:
In the thread Nudel pointed you to, 'my' particular scenario was explained and addressed when disabling the numeric sort option... but you seem to have a variation on what was happening to AllOlli - who started that thread - the last post in which one of the GPSoft guys acknowledged that AllOlli's example was being incorrectly sorted. So I would open up a support ticket on GPSoft's website at the bottom of this page - http://www.gpsoft.com.au/Support.html.[/quote]

Done! Thanks much for your help,

Bob ^,,^

Just wanted to let folks know I finally got the sort sorted out with the help of Dr Perry. As usual, I was looking in the wrong places to make the settings changes.

Perhaps GPSoft should think about a 'DOpus Lite' version for us olde phartes with the 8-bit brain cells... X^}

Thanks again,

Bob ^,,^

'doh... was it something 'other' than the Numeric order filename sorting option?

[quote]
steje wrote:
'doh... was it something 'other' than the Numeric order filename sorting option?[/quote]

No, it ~was~ the numeric filename sorting conflicting with what were in essence very large numbers; if I had just done the obvious and right-clicked on the field heading it would have worked the first time. There are a surprising number of other places in the preferences where similar options are made available.

Does, however, say something about the power built into DOpus when the program preferences controls are more involved than many entire applications... ;^)

Bob ^,,^