Parent folder on top of a lister?

Hello,

Is it possible to configure DOpus in such a way that in a list of files (in details or list view), the first item of the list is a link to the parent folder?

I've seen this in other file managers, usually with a folder icon followed by two dots.

I know that there are the navigation buttons on the top right of the listers, but I really would like to have this link as the first item of the list.

Thank you,
avic

FAQ: Can I add a '..' item to go to the parent directory?

hi,

I'm rather disappointed that GPSoft decided against this feature. This is the second time I evaluate DOpus. Nearly the only thing that kept me from changing to DOpus the last time was this missing feature. I know its only a minor issue, but I could not get used to navigate by using the icons in the toolbar or in the file display border. I usually work without tree in the dual display mode. I often navigate by keyboard shortcuts, but sometimes I use the mouse and then navigating by using the provided icons simply cost me some extra time to reach that i find annoying.

so please, add this feature as a configurable option. And you get one new customer for sure :wink:

Sorry, we will not be adding this archaic relic of the 1970s to Opus. There are several ways to reach the parent folder in Opus, I'm sure you will be able to find one that suits you.

DOpus supports also mouse navigation keys (via Hotkeys configuration).

X.

Clicking an upward pointing arrow is much more intuitive than clicking on a double dot ".." operator.

The upward arrow button doesn't take up a whole row by itself in the file display. It shares the same real estate as several other useful features.

And you cannot convince me that it somehow takes more time to move a mouse to a statically located up arrow button on a the lister file display title bar, than it does to scroll to the top of a file listing to find the ".." entry and click on it.

"Who moved my cheese?"

I agree that this feature request is all about personal preferences.
though the argument that the dot operator is a relic of the 1970ies is not valid IMHO - when dealing with file paths it is still commonly used, you can not only use it on the command line but in nearly all file and web browsers (e.g. explorer, internet explorer etc).
however, it's probably correct that for the ordinary user the folder arrow up icon is more intuitive.
Still - aside from my personal customs - I argue that in most cases the dot operator is closer in range when navigating through folders with the mouse than any other clickable action - see the attached screenshot for a visual proof of this :wink:.
and since folders are listed on top of the file lister the argument that you need first scroll back to the top of the list is also hardly valid.

but I think I was too harsh in my critics in my first post, DO is a great program - perhaps I get accustomed to any of the other proposed methods. though perhaps... disabled by default... only in the list view.... :wink:

peace

So cars should have 3 tires, as 4 are an archaic relic of early 1900's!!!

The "parent" command is one of the most used commands. As I mostly work inside a lister's field it should be near for easy access. The possibilities DOpus offers here are not the best. Don't misunderstand: I really love DOpus!

At least it should be possible to configure the lister's top (on a 1680x1050 widescreen the original parent icon is very tiny... feeling like an archer everytime).

Another, but good relic from Amiga Opus 4 was a parent-command by clicking at the left margin of the left lister (right margin of the right one). Was very fast and useful in fullscreen mode.

This topic was discussed often and nothing was changed. So my last hope is that mouse gestures will be supported in future and solve this.

Hello,

OK,
The idea here is to include a dot operator element in a lister file display.
Personally, I use either the arrow or a button, but that's just me.
Why not simply add a context menu entry or a Hot Button to accomplish this ?
Besides, we have the ability to specify perhaps better things.
Go Back Up will return you to the previous file display properly scrolled !

Personal preferences yes, but I'm missing the logic here.
Directory Opus is configurable , Yes?
Does Directory Opus not also allow the user to specify folder formats ?
Within the folder format options one may choose :
a) Files listed before folders
b) Folders listed before files
c) Mix files and folders together

This flexibility clearly outweighs the special interest here ( my opinion only ).

I don't think Jon said or meant that at all.
The dot operator is quite useful in buttons as well as programming!
I think Jon was referring to the notion of including a dot operator element in a lister file display,
the topic of this thread.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree this time.
Regards,
Zippo

All arguments are mute. We will absolutely not never implement '.' and '..'.

Sorry. Never.

The concept is just silly. (Note that I said 'the concept'.)

[quote="greg"]All arguments are mute. We will absolutely not never implement '.' and '..'.
Sorry. Never.
The concept is just silly. (Note that I said 'the concept'.)[/quote]

The concept may be silly, but being DO the most configurable file management app for Windows, I don't understand why this silly little thing would be so much difficult to implement. It could be something configurable, just a silly option for archaic users like me. :wink:

avic

So you're deaf to the suggestion eh?

So you will implement it then? :confused:

Hello,

@Tanis

I understand this is pointed to Greg, but ...
that really is a part of the point of my post.
What happens if we mix folders and files together ?
And as Greg added,

I have to be careful with what I say now.
It's your use of the word 'deaf' .
That deadly thing you Australians have you know.

I'm not opposed to the idea, I simply respectfully disagree.
I also think Greg mistakenly used a double negative here.

Regards,
Zippo

That was not the point of my post. Others can address that issue:)

Maybe I've been writing too much Italian recently:)

Personally, I would MUCH rather see support for basic mouse-click gestures. One of the neat litle things I LOVE about the Opera web browser is that while holding down the RMB, then clicking the LMB you are sent 'back' through browser history... while holding down the LMB then clicking the RMB send you 'forward'.

I'd very much love to have that sort of support in Opus, and would imagine it would be nice to be able to hold an accessible key like CTRL while performing one of the mouse click maneuvers mentioned in order to 'parent-up'. That would be so much more useful to me than a silly ".." at the top of a lister when you're scrolled several pages down in a folders file display with lots of files or dirs in it... which someone already mentioned as being a 'convenience-killer' for the idea of having the parent-up shortcut at the top of the file display.

If you're scrolled down in a long list of files/folders then you have to scroll up to get the .. item into view, rather than click something 10 pixels above it which is always in the same place, no matter what.

Once you're used to clicking a button instead of double-clicking .. I think you'll find you won't miss it. Give it a go!

yes, I will, and actually I have currently configured DO as explorer replacement... however, it'll take some time to change my customs, but I am trying to... honestly! :slight_smile: currently I am experimenting with the slide out navigation buttons with setting 'corner only' and 0 ms delay - though not yet convinced.

but still - though I said before that I regard this matter as one of personal preferences - I think that there is some truth in my argument about the distance between the 'center of gravity' (the file lister) and the parent up icon. Since I like working in the 'commander' view (two listers side aside) one can see that when working in the right lister the up icon is even harder to reach (see the screenshot).

furthermore, I noticed another aspect that makes me favor the dot operator even more. when working with two listers I repeatedly end up changing to the parent directory in the wrong lister because I forgot to change focus to the intended lister before clicking the up icon. this will never happen with the fabulous dot operator :wink:

usually folders are on the top, then files. The average number of folders in my directory structure is about 5-8 folders. so when browsing a directory structure repeatedly up and down, you are really fast and you won't need to scroll. I already thought about making some screen capture movie to demonstrate this :wink:

but as avic said before: since DOpus is probably the most configurable file manager out there why not satisfy the unconvincable users like us. Only because you find the concept silly? And again, even if it is in your eyes, why is there a FAQ entry about this topic, probably because it pops up again and again and again.. come on!

[quote="welo"]
but as avic said before: since DOpus is probably the most configurable file manager out there why not satisfy the unconvincable users like us.[/quote]
Hi welo,
why don't you just place the "up" button just above the file area with another one just above the destination view? I ask you because on your screenshot this button could be a lot closer and your problem should be reduced at 10 pixels instead of 200

It'll also never happen if you use the parent buttons in the file display borders since they always act on their respective file displays.

Remember you can also use ALT-left cursor for Parent, or define a new hot key as you want, or add a new menu to the Folder Context menu for Right Mouse Button, or...