Parent folder on top of a lister?

You can also hit the backspace key to go back up as well. There are so many different ways that I think the obscure, sometimes hidden ".." is just not needed at all in my opinion.

Ever used a widescreen display? Tiny buttons that are above the last right column. I call it "mousesports", bow and arrow :wink:

I'm missing the great parent-command at the left/right side of a lister like DOpus 4 on Amiga offered (the popupmenu is to slow, even at 0ms, and takes to much time).

I understand both sides (don't like that "..", too), but: The "look & feel" of the parent command must be improved for users that mostly works with mouse only (like me).

It's not just about navigation - there are some things you can't do with a keyboard shortcut.

Often I'll find myself wanting to move files to the parent directory. Although you can drag things to the parent directory via the previous directory buttons, it's not really clear that they accept files (it's not very common for a ui).

The path bar is generally hopeless as well, I have to deal with quite deep paths, and they crop items starting at the parent. (it would be more useful to crop them the other way but that's another issue).

People, instead of counting pixels, make youself a favour and buy a decent mouse with navigational keys. Fe. 3mm thumb move to go up back. Always. No icon beats it.

X.

You could make a keyboard shortcut to copy/move the selected files to the parent directory. Remembering which keys do what is the only real limitation. :slight_smile:

(That said, I'd be more likely to Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C, then Backspace and Ctrl-V to do it.)

[quote="Xyzzy"]People, instead of counting pixels, make youself a favour and buy a decent mouse with navigational keys. Fe. 3mm thumb move to go up back. Always. No icon beats it.

X.[/quote]

I wrote a topic and asked how to reconfigure e.g. back-button to parent-button. No answer until yet, so tell me how? I have got 5 buttons to offer!!!

[quote="nudel"]You could make a keyboard shortcut to copy/move the selected files to the parent directory. Remembering which keys do what is the only real limitation. :slight_smile:

(That said, I'd be more likely to Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C, then Backspace and Ctrl-V to do it.)[/quote]

That still requires orientating myself on the keyboard. Usually when I'm moving files around it's out of the corner of my eye as I read a webpage (it's mostly quite repetitive stuff that works on muscle memory)

It's one of the reasons I don't scrap the tree view. I've read the FAQ and have accepted this feature is staying, but I don't see it as a feature, so much as a flaw, it seems odd not to add something so trivial as an option.

I'd rather development time be spent on other things however like python support or maybe a unified XML based language to describe the windows (in which case, we could add icon ourselves).

[quote="Sasa"]
I wrote a topic and asked how to reconfigure e.g. back-button to parent-button. No answer until yet, so tell me how? I have got 5 buttons to offer!!![/quote]

In my Logitech MX300 (or smth like this), with no Logitech drivers installed, input send to DO by mouse "back" button is equivalent to Backspace key, so it is enough to redefine Backspace key action to whatever's appropriate.

X.

Don't work for me, tried Logitech MX510 & MX518 without driver. I could install driver and redefine buttons, but I don't want to install 40MB SetPoint just for getting a function defined that DOpus should offer to me.

[quote="steje"]Personally, I would MUCH rather see support for basic mouse-click gestures. One of the neat litle things I LOVE about the Opera web browser is that while holding down the RMB, then clicking the LMB you are sent 'back' through browser history... while holding down the LMB then clicking the RMB send you 'forward'.
[/quote]

Would like that myself, remember discussing it in another topic too, a topic about StrokeIt. Anyway, I just use backspare for going up a directory, or I often use the clickable parts of the directory (not sure that they're called). Plenty good enough for me, although I would think about enabling the ... option if iot was availble... less of a need for it since using DOpus for a while, though.