Passing current lister's filecount as a button arg

Hi all,

I thought I'd posted this on Sunday but apparently not - one more troubling sign of impending geezerhood :slight_smile:

Is there a way to pass the current lister's filecount as part of a button's command line? I'd like to pass it to a slate generating program along with some other info (foldername, etc.) but cannot find a way to do so.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Steve

I don't think there is any way to do it directly. You'd probably have to have a small script acting as glue to count the filenames passed to it and then run the real program.

If you do go down that route the "filem" stuff may be useful. It writes the list of selected files into a temporary text file an passes the name of the file to whatever you run. This avoids problems with command-lines becoming too long. It would also mean your "glue" would just have to count the number of lines in the file.

Don't have time to explain more right now so if you need to know more about "filem" let me/us know.

Thanks Leo, consider this a placeholder for the "more info on filem, please" request :wink:

Writing a text file should be doable, was hoping for the superslick elegant way to do so (worthwhile as a feature request, maybe?) but as long as I can get that number back out of there without too much difficulty, I'm a happy guy.

Thanks,
Steve

See the 2nd post in this thread for info on filem:

resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... ight=filem