Paste filename paths as actual files

if I have a list of filenames with full paths in the clipboard - is it possible to paste the actual files (not the asci text)?

Is there some kind of raw command I can make with a button to paste pathnames as links or the actual files?

The reason I ask is - in Microsoft OneNote - a hyperlink to a file is listed as a full pathname. I have a list of files with full pathnames - I want to copy this list to the clipboard - then paste the files to a 'file collection folder' in Opus.

This would also be useful for any application that uses hyperlinks to files - like excel.

It would be a dream come true to paste links or list these files in a 'file collections' pane in Opus!!!

can it be done?

cheers

B

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused about what you are wanting to do.

You want to take the full file paths of some files that have been copied to the Windows clipboard as text, and then paste the actual files themselves somewhere else? Unless someone wants to come up with a script of some kind I'm not aware of a way to do that but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't way. In the programs I use that accept links to other files, including Excel, I have to use that program to add the links, not Opus or any other external program.

I rarely use Opus collections so I'll mostly pass on that part of your question other than to say I'm not aware of a way to paste files into a collection.

[quote="Ben303"]The reason I ask is - in Microsoft OneNote - a hyperlink to a file is listed as a full pathname. I have a list of files with full pathnames - I want to copy this list to the clipboard - then paste the files to a 'file collection folder' in Opus.

This would also be useful for any application that uses hyperlinks to files - like excel.[/quote]

I'm not completely sure what you mean either.

When you say hyperlinks, do you paths to local files, or URLs to files on web servers or similar?

Do you just want a way to add a list of local file paths into an Opus file collection, so that Opus points to the same files (but the files themselves do not get moved/copied/downloaded)?

sorry for the confusion.

OneNote is the best app for commenting on music mixdowns I make and dragging and changing the order of the list. I just drag and drop the mix (or any file) onto OneNote and can organise.

Ok here is an example. The hyperlinks appear like this (with my working notes afterwards):

<file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Till French music\mix\Frenchlongerversion [m].aif> 10 French
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Kobalt bread n butter style\mix\pop v1.1.aif>  11  good example of mastering level
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Kobalt bread n butter style\mix\modern track2.mp3> 12
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Kobalt Till\RMX play v3.mp3>13 
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Kobalt Till\RMX_play_v2.mp3>14
<file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Kobalt Till\RMX_play.mp3>15
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Anthony Lau 2nd Job\w ref track-14 minus 1-05 001[m4].mp3> 16  Poppy
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\TIll 2010\jazzy-better-mix.mp3> 17
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\TIll 2010\modernacoustic.mp3> 18
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Anthony Lau 2nd Job\swing-03.mp3> 19
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\Chanel Doco\mixdowns\Benedict_jazz-modern-groove-v2.mp3> 20
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\more for old fruit\wav\jabytu.mp3> 21
 <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\China FIlm\mp3\new lot\acid 3 with original drums.mp3>22 find original find
     <file://I:\^WIP\^^Pro\China FIlm\mp3\china 5.wav> 23 try version without beat

I then use a regex app (PowerGrep) to extract the paths:

I:^WIP^^Pro\Till French music\mix\Frenchlongerversion [m].aif
I:^WIP^^Pro\Kobalt bread n butter style\mix\pop v1.1.aif
I:^WIP^^Pro\Kobalt bread n butter style\mix\modern track2.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\Kobalt Till\RMX play v3.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\Kobalt Till\RMX_play_v2.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\Kobalt Till\RMX_play.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\Anthony Lau 2nd Job\w ref track-14 minus 1-05 001[m4].mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\TIll 2010\jazzy-better-mix.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\TIll 2010\modernacoustic.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\Anthony Lau 2nd Job\swing-03.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\Chanel Doco\mixdowns\Benedict_jazz-modern-groove-v2.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\more for old fruit\wav\jabytu.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\China FIlm\mp3\new lot\acid 3 with original drums.mp3
I:^WIP^^Pro\China FIlm\mp3\china 5.wav

So now I have a list of files. I copy this to the clipboard.

So now my question is -

How can I import this list as a 'file collection' in Directory Opus' ?

cheers

to clarify - this list is TEXT - I want to paste the list as actual files in the 'file collection' in Opus.

Does PowerGrep let you run commands/scripts against the output it generates? (Or could this be done via a OneNote macro? Presumably it has some kind of VBA or similar like other Office apps?)

If so, probably the best way to do this is to have the tool/script pass filename to an Opus command which adds that file to a collection. Instructions on how to do that are here:

--> Jon's post about user-generated collections

(FWIW, Opus 10 will make the command a bit more simple, but that isn't quite released yet. :slight_smile:)

If there isn't any scripting involved so far, then you could make Opus run a fairly simple VBScript that looks at the clipboard and does the same thing. It would be very similar to my Paste File List button, except instead of creating each file it would run Jon's 'add to collection' command with the file path as an argument.

I don't know how much you are into scripting etc. so this may all be very easy or very hard for you to do yourself. Shout if you need a hand.

thanks for your reply. Looking into it now :slight_smile: