Paste URL from clipboard text?

I concur. It would be nice if Directory Opus naturally recognized that a clipboard item was a URL and created an Windows Internet Shortcut (.url) instead of a text file when pasting the clipboard item into a lister.

You can inspect the clipboard text using a script on the Ctrl-V (or whatever) hotkey, which will be fast enough. Opus provides script helpers to look at the clipboard.

I suggested it would be nice if a paste operation naturally (i.e. automatically) distinguished URLs from text, especially for me, who am inept at writing Directory Opus scripts.

I would not want that myself. I paste URLs into temporary text files a lot and want to get the text back later, or add more detail to the file, not visit the page in a browser.

So it'd need to be an option, I think, but you already have the option of doing it with a simple script right now, without needing to wait for us to implement anything.

Paste empty file list has an example script that chooses what to do based on the type of data in the clipboard.

You raise a point I had not considered. I'll retreat.