Pdf pages column empty?

Explorer and Opus use different types of shell extensions to add custom columns to the file display, so one which works in Explorer may not work in Opus and vice versa. You might need two different ones if you want ones that work in both.

I linked to one that looked like it should work above.

Hi all!

Has someone working solution for Opus 12 for PDF pages count? Preferably based on free PDF-viewer? I'm using Foxit Reader, but it doesn't work.

If it's working in Explorer then you can import the Explorer column into Opus these days, but there's also a tool a linked above which may work.

1 Like

I just got this to work, after ..4 years !! (I like this forum software a lot :smiley: )
System.Document.PageCount is the value needed in GetShellPropertyList, otherwise it's just a copy of the example vb scripts in the documentation! nice!!

Could you please give the script? For these who has not yet experience in Opus scripting...

pdfPageCount.zip (680 Bytes)
Sure, just unzip this and put it in C:\Users<yourUserAccountName>\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Script Addins
And then enable it from preferences>scripts.

3 Likes

Sfranky, thank you very much, but it doesn't work for me. It counts just .docx documents, but none of .pdf (blank fields), similar to standard Pages column in Documents group.
What PDF-viewer do you use?

UPD: I just tried Pdf-ShellTools trial version. It works, but slower than Foxit and it isn't free. 60 Euros just for Pages column is too much...

hmm, that's odd. As Leo said, is the respective pages column working for you in explorer? I have sumatra pdf and pdf x-change viewer, but sumatra is the default viewer..

1 Like

PDF-ShellTools does't work for both Opus and Explorer. Columns shows Word documents pages only in both programs.

I installed SummatraPDF and made it default viewer. Wow! It so fast and lightweight! But pages still doesn't counts pages neither for Opus nor for Explorer...

Also I wrote Foxit support. Let's see whether they solve the problem...

UPD: just for luck tried to install PDF X-Change reader an it works for me!
Now I have next configuration:

• Foxit - for viewing and adding comments to PDF.
  • Summatra - as Opus viewer pane preview handler for fast review of PDF docs.
  • PDF X-change - for page count column works.
  • Sfranky's script - for page count column (original column is empty in this case).

What a mess! :]

Not sure, but i think pdf x-change also allows commenting on pdfs, in the past i stuck with it in favor of foxit..
sumatra is the main pdf viewer i use, it's indeed superfast, and also check out the single-key keyboard shortcuts, they're a game changer (e.g. ctrl+shift+left/right to the move to the previous/next pdf)

The script i sent is not mine, it's just the default dopus provides, with one variable changed :slight_smile:

There is a command line tool can count the pdf pages, may someone use it to create a script addon for this.
pdfinfo.zip (437.4 KB)

I was just able to use sfranky's method and it worked. Thanks sfranky!!

Just a note for others: With past pdf extension issues, I've found that Pdf X-change Viewer has to be installed AFTER Adobe Acrobat is installed. Acrobat doesn't have the shell extensions, and seems to wipe out the Pdf x-change ones. I'm not sure if it matters with D.O. though...

1 Like

pdfPageCount.zip did not work for me either.

Has anyone used PdfPropertyExtension_1.14.0.exe available at https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/pdfpropertyextension.

The only reason I am concerned is because VirusTotal few engines flagged it as follows. I do not know what that means though ...

It says following on its website.

PDF Property Extension is a lightweight COM extension that brings back PDF properties and columns (like Title, Author, Subject, Comments) to Windows Explorer (File Explorer). It implements the IPropertyHandler interface for PDF files, required from Windows Vista® and later.

Works on Windows Vista®, 7, 8 and 10 (both x86 and x64).

How it works

Just install it and... nothing else.
Nothing to configure, when installation completes your Windows Explorer (File Explorer) will populate the additional columns (you need to show them by right clicking on the list header):

This worked for me finally. When Pdf X-change Viewer is only installed AFTER Adobe Acrobat is installed, pdfPageCount.zip works. Default PDF viewer is not changed and is kept as Adobe Reader.

Some observations.

• It shows pages for PDF as well for Microsoft Word Documents. :grinning:

• For some strange reason, it shows pages for .msi files also :innocent:

Made an account just to comment this. You guys had great suggestions. But "edou" had suggested PDFPropertyExtension. Which before I had seen his comment about it being potentially spyware I had already installed it lol. Live life on the edge haha.

It literally just worked. Period. Instlaled it, added the pages column to explorer and done. Works beautiful.

Here is the VirusTotal for 1.15 if anyone cares. No I am not affiliated with the creator. I just needed to compare pages. This was easy