PDF Thumbnail crash (PDF-XChange)

Hi

Directory Opus consistently crashes when generating thumbnails in some folders. I get this error:

I suspect it's related to PDF thumbnails. Anybody else experienced the same?

-Thomas-

If it only happens in folders with PDF files in them, it will be a bug in the PDF viewer/thumbnailer you have installed. (Opus does not generate PDF thumbnails itself, so something else will be generating them. If it crashes, it will crash the Opus process.)

Updating or changing your PDF viewer should resolve the problem.

Hi Leo

I updated the PDF viewer to latest version. Problem still persists.

I tried installing a new PDF viewer which also creates thumbnails. It didn't solve the problem.

Windows Explorer creates the all the thumbnails without problems and without crashing. I assume the both Opus and Explorer uses the same thumbnail handler.

Which PDF viewer is it? Have you tried an alternative one?

Are any crash logs generated? You can send them to us for analysis, which can often confirm which DLL the crash is coming from.

Hi again

I'm using PDF-XChange Editor. I tried installing Sumatra PDF, checking the "Let Windows show previews of PDF documents" during installation, and restarted the machine after installation. Opus did still crash the same way, but maybe I should actually have uninstalled XChange Editor instead. I can do it if it helps you debugging the crash.

I just sent a crash dump to the email in the link you provided. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for sending the crash dump.

It shows that the crash happened within:

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\XCShMain.x64.dll

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFE28B2A948 (XCShMain.x64.dll) in dopus.20210127.144132.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

i.e. Part of PDF-XChange.

We can't see anything beyond that, since we don't have the source code to their DLL, but it's their DLL which is crashing.

If you send the same crash dump to Tracker Software, they may be able to analyze it and find/fix the cause.