PDF Thumbnails urgently needed NOW!

After having installed Adobe Acrobat 7 I just realized that FINALLY PDF Thumbnails are created and shown EVEN in Windows Explorer!

Since PDF is THE file format for electronic document management I've been pleading for this feature all over the place for like years - and now it's there, FINALLY.

Man, have I spent like man-years to get those PDF-thumbnails...

BUT - unfortunately they are still not available in DOpus!

Please, development team - hurry up, just take over the Windows-Explorer thumbnails, or something, and have them displyed in DOPUS - at least in the floating tool tip preview!

PLEASE - don't make me go back to Windows Explorer!

Turn on Use shell image extraction in the Thumbnail Prefs.

[quote]
jon wrote:
Turn on Use shell image extraction in the Thumbnail Prefs.[/quote]

Shell image extraction is turned on already, but pdf thumbnails are not displayed :frowning:

[quote]
jon wrote:
Turn on Use shell image extraction in the Thumbnail Prefs.[/quote]

This does not seem to get DOpus to display them.

Any ideas?

Probably too simplistic an observation, but is the PDF thumbnail functionality evidenced by the same sort of registry footprints and linkage as can be seen for .html thumbnails which was recently detailed in this topic started by Diepotent? Just curious, I guess maybe the PDF thumbnails were just implemented by a different mechanism that is cannot be 'caught' by the Dopus 'shell image extraction' method.

Another thing which is confusing things more is that only some PDFs get thumbnails, even in Explorer. There must be a flag which can be set in the PDF files, or only ones saved with a particular version of Acrobat can have thumbnails, or something...

I have Adobe Reader 7 on my machine and have not seen a PDF thumbnail so far, even in Explorer, but I'm not sure if it's because I don't have any suitable PDFs or I haven't installed the right optional extra or made the right configuration change. Or maybe the thumbnails only happen with Acrobat, and not just the Reader, installed?

Has anybody been able to display PDF thumbnails with DOpus ?

As told before, some PDF get thumbnails in Explorer, others don't.
What I can tell is that PDFs I've made using Adobe Acrobat (6 or 7) have thumbnails. Some others (e.g. the DOpus manual) don't, although Adobe Acrobat is installed on my system.

I don't know why but I do get thumbnails for some PDF files in Opus. In particular those that I've generated using Rasterbator (a program which turns images into multi-page PDFs for printing out huge versions of them made from bit dots):

(Shell Image Extraction is enabled in Opus, of course.)

[quote]
nudel wrote:
I don't know why but I do get thumbnails for some PDF files in Opus. In particular those that I've generated using Rasterbator (a program which turns images into multi-page PDFs for printing out huge versions of them made from bit dots):

(Shell Image Extraction is enabled in Opus, of course.)[/quote]

Even in version 8.0.1.2 ? Or is the PDF thumbnails view new to v. 8.1 ?

Oh, I hadn't thought about that. Maybe it's fixed in general in 8.1 and now any PDF that gets thumbnails in Explorer also gets them in Opus (but there are still some which, for whatever reason, don't get thumbnails anywhere).

Using the latest version of DOpus (8.0.3.3), the PDF's documenting the changes for 8.0.3.2 and 8.0.3.3 have thumbnails, but all other PDF's in the DOpus program folder do not.

Maybe Greg or Jon could say whether they chaged any settings when creating the PDF's for 8.0.3.2 or 8.0.3.3

Yes. The simple answer is true.

PDF thumbnails are an imbedded tiff image in the PDF file itself. I never had this setting turned on in Acrobat 6 when I created the original PDFs. Never knew about it!

__ Greg