PLEASE fix Dopus timestamp handling!

Posted this 4 days ago, but it looks like someone deleted it from the Dopus forums. Nice.

Have just tried the lates 8012 and see that you still have not adopted (or given an option to use) standard Windows Explorer style timestamp handling for files.

While you've added a reg-fix to allow copied folders to get a new 'Created' timestamp even if 'Preserve' is on in Dopus options.... this still doesn't help those of us who have external processes that depend on the timestamps behavind the way Explorer deals with them.

ie: When copying a folder structure with files in Explorer, all files and folders get an updated 'Created' timestamp whilst leaving the 'Modified' timestamp of all files unaffected (preserved).

Dopus works one of three ways depending on options:

1. All copied files and folders get updated 'Created' and 'Modified' (files) timestamps.
  2. All copied files and folders retain their original 'Created' and 'Modified' timestamps.
  3. All copied files retain their original 'Created' and 'Modified' timestamps, but all copied folders get updated 'Created' timestamps.

As you can seen, none of these options mirrors Explorer behaviour.
I've seen posts on this topic in the forums before.

May I point out that after evaluating many Explorer replacements, Dopus (while being the most feature rich) is the ONLY product which CANNOT handle timestamps like Explorer. For those of us that depend on this, we're missing out on being able to use Dopus to it's potential.

Please please please fix this!

Thanks,
Nyssa.

I don't remember hearing about this difference between Explorer and Opus before. There's a slightly related post about folder timestamps but it didn't raise the same issue.

The way DOpus handles timestamps makes sense to me (else you end up with modified time being before creation time, which is silly if you think about it) but my guess is until now nobody noticed the way Explorer did it and that there was a difference.

Since Explorer is a standard and some people may be used to this behaviour, I guess it would make sense for Opus to (be able to) do the same thing.

Out of interest, what do you depend on the Created time for? Is it so you know when the copy of the original was made? Or for backup purposes?

Why do you need this? I concede that Opus is different to Explorer, but broken? We do it our way, they do it theirs. Make a rational case for why you need this behaviour and I will be happy to consider it.

Sorry for the late reply, actually came to Australia for a holiday! What a fantastic country! :slight_smile:
Anyway, to answer your question... I use the timestamps for a couple of things. One is to see when a file or set of files were copied to a central location. The other more important use is with a modified verison of RoboCopy which copies files on a schedule intra-week. It's a server-server based tool which only copies files that have been placed on the server during that week (to speed the copy scan). For this purpose, the 'Created' timestamp is used.
Using Explorer, this is fine, as the Created stamp gets updated when anyone copies a file to the central location. With Dopus however, if I choose to leave the file stamps alone, I may be placing a file there thats (for example) 2 months old... so the RoboCopy system I use won't see it (because all the stamps are 2 months old). If I get Dopus to update all file stamps, the other problem is that then the 2 month old file looks like it was actually authored on that day. This becomes a big problem if I need to overwrite that file with one that is (for example) only one month old instead of two. I now cannot do so with (modified) RoboCopy, becuase the original 2 month old Dopus copied file now looks newer than the 1 month old version, so it won't even 'see' the replacement.
Hope this makes sense, and thanks for taking it into consideration.
I'd love to see Dopus handle timestamps like Explorer... and could even forsee putting a case forward to get others to use this, or perhaps getting a corporate license etc.

Cheers,
Nyssa. :slight_smile:

My 2 cent's about the 'modified' date and time being older than the 'created' date and time...

Besides nyssa's requirements, I guess it's all in how you look at it. The way explorer goes makes sense to me and not silly at all when you consider that the creation date represents when the data was 'created' on the particular filesystem it's currently located on. Whereas the modifification date would more universally represent whether or not that data has ever changed; whether in it's new or original location. Having it be older than the creation date is just a flag that nobody has made changes to the data since it's been copied/created in an 'archival' location. And it does seem that Dopus allows for this logic to ~folders~ according to example 3 that Nyssa mentioned above... though I have not paid attention to it myself.

I thought I had made a valid case: that Dopus cannot handle timestamps like Explorer, and that there a many utilites out there which depend on timestamps being handled just like Explorer does. ie: Leave the Modified timestamp alone, but update the copied timestamp.
I don't see why you have a problem with putting an option in to make Dopus handle things the 'standard' way... because it just causes problems doing it 'your way'... admittedly perhaps by only a few admin type users who need this.
To put it in financial terms... you're losing out on revenue from people like me, and all my colleagues, because we cannot use Dopus, as much as we would like to.
So... please fix the timestamp handling. Please!

If you want changes like this then you must put in an official request for new features via the Support page on our web site.

So, please submit a formal request with some details of exactly what it is you want and why then this will make it to the officlal database suggestion list for consideration in a future version.

You never know. If you submit a request you may even see it implemented:)

Greg

I think many people don't realize this forum isn't an 'official' GPSoft tech support mechanism... Especially since so many of the feature requests that pop up here DO end up being implemented. At least three different things I was asking for got done in 8.1; and these were from topics discussed only here before I realized that we should be going through the Technical Support Request portion of the GPSoft site...

I should stop here now, as knowing Greg from his responses he might offer a solution of "Ah ok. I guess we should stop implementing suggestions raised on the forums then to aovid confusion"

:slight_smile:

OK. We have put in a special Registry variable to allow you to change Opus to do this strange behaviour.

This is available to registered users so you better go out an but a copy of the program now:)

Please do remember that this is not the official support forum. By all means discuss ideas here etc but if you want to suggest new features they must be submitted to us via the official form on the Support page.

Greg

Just a followup, as I said we have made some changes to support this madness of mimicking WE's behaviour when copying file timestamps, but this is by no means sane.

Windows Explorer MAY or MAY NOT set the creation timestamp to now or not depending on a number of very special conditions related to the File System Tunnelling settings on your machine.

Any concept or practice of relying on accurate and consistent behaviour of timestamps as done by Windows Explorer is a seriously flawed. The only way you can rely on the timestamps is the way Opus copies the files and preserves the exact timestamps of the original files.

Refernces:

1. cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bu ... 00269.html

2. support.microsoft.com/kb/q172190/