Preferences Need Rearranging

Preferences Need Rearranging

Items are too scattered about.

All items common to one thing should all be in ONE screen.
EXAMPLE: Setting the Icon bar background and text color are in two different locations (not very intuitive).

Suggest a complete rearrangement of Preferences items.

Completely remove Colors & Fonts and move each item to an intuitive location such as; all colors for the Toolbar should be moved to the Toolbar location.

It makes no difference if some items show up in two or more locations (if they are used by several things); changing the color in one location should change all settings for that color item in all the other locations.

In general, let’s simplify the Preferences by combining all common items.

As it is, Preferences are very scattered about and is less than intuitive .

Thanks;
Doc

Preferences have only just undergone a radical re-design for v9. It's all very well to suggest that all similar things are grouped together - you have to take into account the size of the preferences dialog - you can't just make it bigger and bigger - it has to allow for people with very limited resolutions.

To be honest, I think things are pretty good now especially with the filter which means the location of items are not as important.

[quote="steve"]Preferences have only just undergone a radical re-design for v9. It's all very well to suggest that all similar things are grouped together - you have to take into account the size of the preferences dialog - you can't just make it bigger and bigger - it has to allow for people with very limited resolutions.

To be honest, I think things are pretty good now especially with the filter which means the location of items are not as important.[/quote]

Absolutely agree... I don't think it could be laid out any better. Plus with the filter I never need to know where anything is anyway... I simply enter the key word and I'm away.

Brilliant... the best preferences interface on any software I've ever used.

Which Filter are you referring to :question:

Doc

[quote="DocLotus"]Preferences Need Rearranging
[/quote]

Not a bit.
Use filter if you have problems with locating an item.

X.

Are you referring to the Search Filter :question:

Or the Filter in Help :question:

Either way, I have used them both extensivily.

Doc

At the bottom of the Preferences dialog is a Filter field. This lets you search for Preferences items matching a specified string, making it much easier to locate items.
The red X button to the right of the Filter field lets you clear the filter, and the up and down arrows are provided to make it easier to step up and down through
the Preferences pages:

Don't know about a 'Help' filter... but in Preferences there is a 'Filter' field in the bottom left corner which filters the visible prefs pages and highlights prefs settings related to the keywords you type in...