Prefs STYLE=XXX no longer works first time in DOpus 10

Hi,

It's taken me a while to get round to posting this because it took a while for the frustration build up, but the "Prefs STYLE=" function, e.g.:

Prefs STYLE=DOWNLOADS

..no longer works first time in buttons in DOpus 10.

It worked fine in 9.x but in 10 you have to click a toolbar button that sets the lister to a style twice. first time it will jump to the correct folder, but the chosen listing format is bizarre, not something I've set up anywhere else.

I have to click the button again to have the correct columns displayed and the lister sorted by the style's chosen column.

I think this is probably a bug but wanted to post here first before posting a support request, in case the parameters have simply changed or something (I doubt it).

Thanks for any feedback!

All the best...

Conor

I can't duplicate that here. Can you post a screen grab or two, or explain exactly what you have your downloads style configured to do?

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, that's very good of you.

Here's some screenshots then...

First is the setting for the custom button showing that the button simply sets the lister to the DOWNLOADS style.

Second screenshot is the style DOWNLOADS in the preferences panel.

Third is the configuration of the columns that are supposed to be displayed when the style is applied, including the column that the listing is supposed to be sorted by (the result of clicking "Edit" from the previous screenshot).

Fourth screenshot is what happens when I click the button in DOpus 10 for the first time. This is where things go wrong. It is displaying a lister format/style that I don't recognise.. I have no lister formats like that so have no idea why the software is coming up with that bizarre set of columns, nor why it is sorting by filename in descending order.

Fifth screenshot is what happens when I click the button for the second time.. I get exactly the lister I wanted to have in the first place.. the columns are correct and sorted by the correct column, date in descending order.

As I said, this behaviour only started with upgrade from 9 to 10 so it is a problem or change in 10.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks again.

All the best...

Conor

Argh, method of posting screenshots here not the best..

Okay, the order appears to have been reversed there.. so please go by the name of the image..

Plus, couldn't post last two.. will post them here in reverse order so they show in correct order! :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Conor

I know what you're saying about uploading images to this forum, I've been caught in that trap myself.
One would think they would display top to bottom in the order you add them, but it's the opposite.

Anyway, I just created a new style and duplicated all of your settings, and Opus (Version 10.0.1.4.4227) still works for me the way it should. However I also have it in the back of my mind that I have seen a problem like this before, but it was quite awhile ago, back in V9 even and I believe it was related to saved layouts not styles.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is I wonder if you have a folder format set for C:\Users\Conor\Download that would be fighting the style you've created.

After uploading an image there are buttons that let you insert it wherever you want in the post.

There are? I'll have to look for those buttons the next time I upload a couple screen grabs! Thanks Leo.

Hi,

[quote="JohnZeman"]I know what you're saying about uploading images to this forum, I've been caught in that trap myself.
One would think they would display top to bottom in the order you add them, but it's the opposite.[/quote]

Yes, that's bizarre!

I know that you can move them about but I didn't see how what effect the uploading had until after posting. And with no edit post facility here I was stuck with that.

Thanks again for the help.

Hmm, not sure how it could be to do with entire layouts?

Hey, there may be something in this.

The problem only occurs if I open a new lister and click the DOWNLOADS button.

If I use a lister that is already displaying a folder and not the Computer drive listing and click the DOWNLOADS button it displays as desired.

So there is something that prevents the button working for a new lister.. which is obviously annoying as that's the number one lister I'm going to use when I click the DOWNLOADS button :wink:

I have a folder format "Computer" in System Folders subsection of the preferences.. however it has different column sizes and ascending sorting of the filename.. so its format doesn't match the bizarre format displayed in screenshot 4.

I have no other customised folder formats.

Hmm, stuck.

Might try disabling all folder formats just to test..

Any further ideas greatly appreciated!

All the best..

Conor

If you hover your mouse over the padlock icon in the status bar it should tell you where the format comes from.

Hi,

Thanks.

When I open a new lister, click the DOWNLOADS button once it displays the correct folder in completely the wrong format. Hovering over the padlock, it says:

The current Folder Format comes from:
Lister Style "DOWNLOADS"

I have to click the DOWNLOADS button again. THen the correct columns are displayed, with the correct sort order. Hovering over the padlock, things are unchanged:

The current Folder Format comes from:
Lister Style "DOWNLOADS"

Hmm.. :frowning:

Thanks for the reply!

Guess I'll have to backup my config, wipe my config, and slowly try to restore things to see where DOpus is messing up. Or maybe find out a way to have the download button automatically "reapply" itself when it's clicked, as an ok kludge.

All the best...

Conor

Hi,

I finally realised the other day what is happening, when a new lister is opened and then the button is clicked, that results in setting a Prefs STYLE through the use of a custom button not working in DOPus 10 .

In my setup, when a new lister is opened in DOpus it loads the list of drives on the computer.

The "Computer" list style doesn't have a "Date modified" column, so when I click a button to any other style I've created, although the lister is set to the correct path, any column which isn't an allowed column for the "Computer" style is missing.

Hence the style not being able to sort by "Date (modified)" - the column doesn't exist!

I have to click the button again, for DOpus 10 to add in the columns that don't exist as part of the style the lister has been changed to. Then of course the sorting works as the chosen sort column exists.

This is undoubtedly a bug that was introduced in version 10.0.

I'll report it officially, hopefully it'll be fixed soon so finally I don't have to click the buttons twice every time I open a new lister as I've had to do ever since upgrading to 10!

All the best..

Conor

Apparently this is now the place to report things?

Is there not a bug tracker somewhere?

If not then can this be taken as an official bug report please?

Thanks

Thanks for the extra details. I've confirmed the issue and have raised a bug report for it. It probably won't be fixed for the 10.0.4.0 release, but hopefully we can get it fixed after that.

FWIW, Opus 9 didn't have this problem because it handled the My Computer folder differently. If you turn off Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Native display of 'Computer' then you'll get the Opus 9 behaviour back, and no longer need to apply the style twice.

That's right, although reports here are only 'official' if you link your Opus registration and forum accounts.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Oh, yes! Great!

That's sooooo much better! I wish I'd spotted what the exact cause of the problem was ages ago, instead of clicking the same buttons twice all this time! :unamused:

I saw that earlier and to be honest, at the time I couldn't be bothered filling in four separate fields.

I've done it now but I'd prefer to be able to submit reports just based on the license number.. linking up with a forum is an unusual, slightly hassley way to do things. I understand how it benefits GPSoftware, it's handier for you guys, just a little bit of hassle for your customers. Not a biggie but anyway..

Thanks for your help, that one wee switch in the preferences as mentioned above has made things much nicer for me.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

All the best...

Conor

The forum sign-up and account linking only has to be done once and requires pretty much the same information that had to type in for every support request before, so it should save time rather than add extra hassle, especially after the first time.

Hi,

Nah, disagree on that one. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help though!

How come?

Before you had to type/paste your email address + Opus registration number + Opus version + Windows version + question category, every time a support request was created. If there was already a thread at the forum (like with this one, and many other cases) then you'd also have to duplicate at least some of that info in the support request, which always seemed like a waste of time to me.

With the new system, linking the forum account requires your email address + Opus registration number + forum username (+ forum email address if it's different), and you only ever have to do it once. The actual linking process seems about as much hassle as raising a single support request was in the past. (Less hassle if you count not having to repeat what was said already in a forum thread, and even less if you make more than one request.)

Of course, if you don't already have a forum account then you have to create one, so there is that extra step, but you already had one of those. :slight_smile: Creating forum accounts is a quick process, and I'm guessing most Opus users are familiar with phpbb or similar web forums. The forum sign-up asks for similar info (Opus version + Windows version) to the old Support Request form, so even for people without forum accounts it shouldn't be a big deal (unless we make the anti-spam question too difficult to answer :slight_smile:), and should be worth it for the better/faster attention that threads at the forum generally receive from us and also the other forum members.

That said, I do agree that the new system is unusual, which might make it feel more daunting than it is.

Hi,

That process is fine for me, it's fairly mindless. Of course the idea both from the developer's point of view and mine as the customer is that the number of times this sort of reporting functionality has to be used should always be aimed to tend to zero, it's not a feature of the site I ever plan to use much, so I'd tend more towards it being a one off/fire it off type system, rather than a whole forum registration exercise.

Linking the accounts meant I had to think "what e-mail address did I register on the forum with?" "Should I got into my e-mail software and search for 'dopus'?" "Should I log into the forum, the address is probably there?".

I totally understand where you are coming from but I'm probably not the only one who treats forums as different from web stores. So I'm likely to use a "proper" address for the web store, to be sure I get order confirmation e-mails and the all-important registration code, whereas forums can be hacked and can send rubbish and stuff so I may use a "dumpable" address for it.

As you can see from the above, when presented with the linking form I couldn't remember what e-mail address I registered on the forum with. I reasoned that with the makers of DOpus, placing the trust in Greg as I do, I'd have simply used the same one I used when purchasing the software, but because I didn't know for sure and life is short, I wasn't bothered enough to look into things to link things up just so I could post the bug info.

As a software developer myself I do understand all the benefits of the system you have implemented, but it can be more hassle for casual customers than simply using the bug request form of the type you had previously; creating accounts always requires more information and time than simply filling in a form.

In the long run having an account is always easier, but in the short term, most people don't expect, or at least, hope, that they won't be coming back to a "Resource Centre" ever again in the future with a problem.. it's nice for things to always "just work" and us eternal optimists, while being pleased to meet such nice people as yourself in this forum, may just not intend to ever come back here ever again in the future, hoping instead that we'll never encounter any more bugs we feel the need to report or problems we need to get help with. :slight_smile:

This hasn't been the case for me as you know, but I'm just describing the psychology of this thought process.. illogical as it may be, it's just natural I think to prefer not to set up accounts if you don't have to.

Anyway... you asked :slight_smile:

All the best..

Conor

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense. :slight_smile:

FWIW people can still email us directly if they really don't want to use the forum, and can post to the forum without linking accounts if they don't want to.

Was this bug ever resolved? I have a similar styles issue with 10.2.0.0.4645 that I don't want anyone to spin their wheels on unless this was fixed in a recent patch.