Preserve folder date after file renaming

After a file rename, the modified date of the parent folder changes, which I assume is correct: apparently the file name is considered to be the 'contents of the folder' and therefore the modified date of the folder changes, even though there is no change to the file(s) within the folder.

I run a script (within Opus) that updates the folder after the newest file* in the folder, so, actually restore the modified date to the one before the file rename.

Question: would it not be an idea to have an option within Opus to preserve the folder date after newest file in folder after renaming files, i.e. same as with above mentioned script.

The date is meant to change, as it indicates something has changed in the folder. Some backup tools use this to know if they need to check for new, renamed or deleted items directly below the folder.

Windows itself makes the change; it isn't something Opus does. You'll see the same thing if you rename a file using anything.

Thanks Leo.
Yes, I understand that the folder date is meant to change - default behavior, also in Windows Explorer.
It probably is alright for most of the users.
It was just a suggestion for an option to a kind of 'preserve folder date' (based on newest file in folder).
It is my experience that it could be helpful when trying to find older files and folders can be sorted on date.
Again: suggestion, option.
If it isn't desirable, forget it, no problem.

This is a feature of the NTFS filesystem. So what you need is a way to override the expected behavior of NTFS. You could write a script that could change the folder modified date to the newest file, and then trigger on renames. However I suspect that you would find that this is not ideal.

Have you seen this script?

Thanks. I already have a (different) script in place for quite a while.
See screenshot.

Ignore the file names in the below example - I just made up some funny file names, for testing purposes.

Looks interesting. Can you share that one?

Sure. Tool is titled : SetFolDate.

You could download the file from Donationcoder.
Title: SetFolDate.7z
at: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35881.0;attach=92122

Unzip the file and use "SetFolDate - Directory Opus installation.pdf" to read the install.
Double click the .exe (it is safe, it was then, it still is now) and a .ouc file will be placed on your desktop.

I have been using it since 2013. Note: I did not check whether the installation is valid for v12, I guess it will not differ very much. With each update/fresh (Windows) install, I install Opus into the same directory, then restore the Opus back and Opus is up and running as before.

Probably most other people don't care about the folder dates being updated.
Personally... I think it may be handy sometimes to be able to sort folders based on the newest file in those folders.

The script wowbagger quoted earlier allows that without actually changing dates of anything.
Instead it provides several new columns you can enable, like Newest (Created), Newest (Modified), etc.

It also allows you to exclude filespecs you don't want to consider, like thumbs.db, desktop.ini, and whatnot.

Definitely a nice tool!

Many thanks for the tip.