Prevent Dopus Automatically Request executable files from OneDrive

Hi,

I just try latest dopus 12.6.3 and found that on OneDrive folder with file on demand activated it will always try to downloaded .exe file even without I executing it. Just open folder with exe file and dopus will download the exe file.

Environment:
Windows 10 Pro Fall Creator Update Clean Install
DOpus 12.6.3

This didn't happen with other files, just executable causes this symptom

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

Which file display columns are in use? Does it happen if only the Name column is turned on for the folder?

Does File Explorer trigger similar behavior?

Hi Leo,

Displayed column still default for onedrive type folder, it shown name, file type, last modified, status, and availability.

File Explorer didn't trigger download when I access same folder which contains .exe file. Anyway this also happen for DOpus 11. At first I have hunch that some of my AntiVirus program want to scan it and trigger such behavior but it also happen on my VM which don't have any AntiVirus software (well maybe we should blame Windows Defender ?).

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

Thanks for checking those.

If you turn on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for: All Folders, does it still happen then? My guess is it's being triggered by reading the icons for the files, which that will check.

Hi, I will try later on my PC and inform the result

Hi Leo,

I just try as you suggested to show all generin icon on all folders but it still automatically download the exe files.

Any other idea? any way I can help to trace it?

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

Could you post a screenshot of the full Opus window so we can see if there's anything else which might trigger reading of the exe files?

Hi Leo,

Here the screenshoots

And this is the DOpus config file in case you need it for replicate the issues: Hadi Susanto - Opus Config - 2017-11-21.ocb (64.1 KB)

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

1 Like

Hi,

Just info, this issues still persist on DOpus 12.7 so not yet found the cause? Or only on my computer?

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

Only on yours so far, that we are aware of. More investigation is needed though.

Ah i see, anyway i could help investigation? Maybe some special build with debug log? I willingly to help

Thanks for the help!

A Process Monitor log might help see which component or piece of code is causing the files to be read.

Here's how to make one:

• Download Microsoft's Process Monitor and extract the zip somewhere. (No installation is required.)

• Double-click Procmon.exe to launch it and accept the default filters.

• Make sure it is logging filesystem events. It should be by default, by just in case, make sure the Procmon_Filesystem icon is activated, so the toolbar looks like this:

Procmon_Modes

• With Process Monitor still logging, perform the action in Opus (e.g. go to the folder and trigger an exe to be pulled from the cloud), then wait about 10 seconds.

• Back in Process Monitor, use File > Save, select the Native Process Monitor Format (PML), and save the log to somewhere.

• Zip up the log. It will be quite large if not compressed, but much smaller when added to a zip file.

• Send the result to crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au or via a private message. Don't post the log publicly, just in case it contains anything you don't want the world to see.

Please let us know the exe name as well, so we know what to look for in the log.

Many thanks!

Hi Leo,

Logs and details sent to crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au with the details in the email hope can find something.

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

Bingo! Many thanks.

It looks like it happens when Opus is checking if there are sub-folders below the current level, and there are .exe files (possibly with no normal sub-folders or archives).

Opus will check if any of the .exe files below the current level are really self-extracting zip archives, which triggers it to read them, and thus triggers OneDrive to pull them down.

As a temporary workaround, please try going to Preferences / Zip & Other Archives / Zip Files and removing .exe from the Zip Extensions field there. Does that stop the problem from happening?

Hi Leo,

I've try your workaround, it's working. I traverse my software folder and now Opus didn't request any file. FYI: I also unchecked the generic icon and still working. So the cause is Zip plugin.

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

1 Like

Many thanks for confirming that, as well as helping us with the logs!

We'll improve the way this works in a future version. My guess is that we will just turn off that functionality for offline files, so you can turn it back on on for other files if desired, but we need to look into it a bit more to check if that makes sense.

Thanks again!

1 Like

We did a small update to the 12.7 installer to include the fix for this, since the code-change was simple and we didn't want to wait until the next update cycle.

If you re-download the installer and try that, it should let you add .exe back to the Zip Extensions setting without the problem coming back.

Hi Leo,

Confirmed after install with latest installer and add .exe back to zip extensions it fix the problem of downloading. Thanks

1 Like