Problem associating files

Right-clicking on a file shows an option to open a file with an installed Windows application. When trying to set this as the default program through DOPUS the setting does not stick.

If I do the same thing through FILE EXPLORER the setting sticks. Go back to DOPUS and the association is changed and the icon is also changed. It may only occur when digging down to select a program through "more apps".

I found this while trying to send a pdf file directly to the printer. To get this to work I had to install a 3rd party pdf application and make sure that the file extension is associated with it. But I could only do the association through FILE EXPLORER.

Windows 10 wants to make EDGE to default for PDF files. However, if you want to open the file and edit it then other solutions are better. I use the pdf editor in FILECENTER.

I am using the October release of Windows 10.

Rennie

The "more apps..." menu item is handled by Windows, so it's strange if it only works in Explorer, unless Microsoft have broken something in the October update.

I have the same issue on Windows 10. I also never had this issue before installing Opus 12. I have read many articles on the internet..on directory opus 12 and file associations that fails. All the entries I read on this site is just Opus saying basically 'its not us it is microsoft'. I am really annoyed. Comeon...can anybody at Opus give a solution to the problem ? even if it is is a task that runs every few minutes and over writes the registry keys if the software cannot fix the problem ?

At least for us, the Open With menu is working OK in the latest version of Opus (12.12) and Windows 10 (1809)

Microsoft have been intentionally breaking and changing the Open With API. They've explicitly documented this in MSDN, so we are not making this up. :slight_smile:

We've managed to find workarounds so far, but in this area we are fighting a hostile OS written by people who don't think anyone would want to replace Explorer or that anything but Explorer and Settings should be allowed to change file associations, even via APIs the OS provides for doing so.

On top of this, Microsoft broke Open With entirely for several months around the Windows 10 1803 update, such that choices were completely ignored. That affected Explorer in some cases as well. (There was a workaround involving running a command line tool that could fix things, but it had to be done for each file type.) That is working again in Windows 10 1809, at least on my own PCs with fresh installs. That had nothing to do with Opus and is just another symptom of Windows 10's non-existent QA. If you're running into that issue, you're complaining to the wrong people. :slight_smile:

If it's not working for you, please give full details of Opus and Windows versions and exactly what you're trying to do, and the file types involved. Please also check what happens if you try the same in File Explorer. Also please link your account.

If it involves image file types, see the FAQs here as you may just have chosen the option to always use the Opus viewer for them within Opus.