Problem Copying directory with Descript.ion

I try to copy a directory (e.g. from one drive to another) and the directory contains a descript.ion file.

The copying starts by copying one file and also creates a descript.ion file with one entry (for the file just copied). It then stops and asks if I want to replace this newly created descript.ion file with the original (full) descript.ion file in the originating directory....

The bug appears to be the creation of the first one-line descript.ion file.

I don't think it is a bug, but it is an optional choice as some folks may want to manually overwrite (or not overwrite) an existing descript.ion file. Try going to PREFS/FOLDERS/OPTIONS and turn on the very last checkbox called "Hide comment files when marked as Hidden".

Then DOpus should keep the descript.ion files automatically synchronized when you move files and folders around.

[quote]
JohnZeman wrote:
I don't think it is a bug, but it is an optional choice as some folks may want to manually overwrite (or not overwrite) an existing descript.ion file. Try going to PREFS/FOLDERS/OPTIONS and turn on the very last checkbox called "Hide comment files when marked as Hidden".

Then DOpus should keep the descript.ion files automatically synchronized when you move files and folders around.[/quote]

This situation does not apply in my case. I am copying the whole folder to another drive where the directory (and descript.ion) does not even exist.

The problem is that a one-line descript.ion file is created during the copying, and then as the copying progresses, it tries to overwrite itself..
Try it!

Ah, ok I see what you are talking about now. I can also duplicate this.

Here is what I think is happening. If you select an entire folder to copy, you are also selecting the descript.ion file inside that folder. Then during the copy process as soon as DOpus copies a file that has a description to the new directory, a new descript.ion file is automatically created in the new folder (even before DOpus gets to the source lister descript.ion file). Then when DOpus gets down to copying the original descript.ion file from the source to the destination, the destination descript.ion file now pre-exists so it prompts you to about overwriting it.

It does appear this feature could use a little tweaking by Greg or Jon.

Oops, I see you came to the same conclusion I did! I was thinking so much about the problem I missed your assessment of what is causing it.

Well at least I confirmed your suspicions.

Just hide the descript.ion (or don't select it when you do the copy) and the problem goes away, right?

Or should Opus have a special case where it never copies descript.ion? But what happens then if someone does want to copy it? Seems to me that if you want to use descipt.ion you should always hide it (or go to the trouble of not selecting it).

I guess you could change your Ctrl-A and Select All buttons to select everything except descript.ion, but you could still shift-select it by accident even then, unless it's hidden.

I haven't revisited this issue since I last discussed it Leo, but as I recall the answer is no. That just hiding the descript.ion files does not make the problem go away when you drag an entire folder (that contains files with descriptions) to copy it. The only way I've found to avoid the problem is to do one of two things.

1. Turn off the prefs option that tells DOpus to use descript.ion descriptions.

2. Before dragging and dropping, sort the source lister folder so the descript.ion file is the very first file in the lister. (This requires unhiding the descript.ion file)

What seems to be happening otherwise when DnD copying an entire folder to another location, is DOpus copies any source files that have descriptions, and in the process copies their descriptions as well. Which is normal and when a file description is copied, that act creates a new descript.ion file on the destination to hold the descriptions. Then when DOpus gets down to the actual source descript.ion file to copy it too (after all it is in the source folder although hidden), DOpus prompts us that there's already a descript.ion file in the destination.

Hi John and Nudel,

I'm getting different results on this.
I'm using DOpus 8.1.0.8 ANSI .

Under Preferences -> Folders -> Options
I have:

1. "Support 'descript.ion' file comments system", Checked.
  2. "Hide comment files when marked as hidden", Unchecked.

Under Preferences -> File Operations -> Copying(1)
I have:

1. "Preserve the description of copied files", Checked.

I have a folder named Holiday.
The folder Holiday contains two folders:

1. Folder Fun
  2. Folder More
    The Folder Holiday contains 3 files.
  3. Big Manitou Falls.mpg
  4. Caspian Tern.mpg
  5. SnowOtter.mpg
    Descriptions are written for all folders and files in the folder Holiday.

The Folder Fun contains 4 files:

1. Bayou.mpg
  2. Cottonmouth Snake.mpg
  3. Cute Gator.mpg
  4. Woodpecker.mpg
    Descriptions are written for all files in the folder Fun.

The Folder More contains one file :

1. Viking Hall.mpg
    Descriptions are written for all files in the folder More.

If I select the folder Holiday and copy it to another drive letter, everything works just fine.
The entire folder structure is replicated with descriptions.
I am not prompted in any way to replace any description file.
I can copy any of these files and folders to the destination in any way I wish,
and the description files are properly modified.

However, if I explicitly select a description file, not its' parent folder, and other files,
and attempt to copy them to the destination, then I am prompted to replace the description file.

:opusicon: porcupine

Seems to me that the results Porc is seeing are exactly what one would want from support for the descript.ion files... I haven't tested this at all so I can't compare. Then again, since he's set the "Hide comment files when marked as Hidden" option to actually be Unchecked I'd have thought this would imply that doing a <Ctrl+A> inside the folder with the descript.ion file would result in the overwrite conflict... not showing hidden files at all maybe?

Perhaps it's a unicode vs ANSI thing guys. Porc's test, including his prefs settings, mirrors mine exactly (only I'm using DOpus 8.1.0.8 U). However my results are different as I am prompted each time to replace or skip copying the destination descript.ion file. It does it if I drag and drop a folder containing descriptions or when I copy and paste a folder that contains descriptions.

Steje I agree with you in that the way it works for Porc is the way I'd expect it to work too. It just doesn't work that way on my machine. Nor on vikings apparently. Vike? You still around? If so are you using the unicode version too?

[quote]
JohnZeman wrote:
Perhaps it's a unicode vs ANSI thing guys. It just doesn't work that way on my machine. Nor on vikings apparently. Vike? You still around? If so are you using the unicode version too?[/quote]

Umm... Forgot which version... :blush: How do I check?

Just go to the menu command of HELP/ABOUT DIRECTORY OPUS and the box that pops up next will give you the version you are using. If it ends in a U then its unicode like my version (8.1.0.8 U). I think the ANSI version ends in A.

Hi,
I think John might be on the right track here.
It just might be one of those Unicode vs ANSI things that we are seeing here.
I'd like to point out that descriptions can be created for selected files and folders by using :

SetAttr DESCRIPTION

There is also another recent Descript.ion files topic here.

:opusicon: porcupine

edit note:
Yes Steje,
<Ctrl+A> inside the folder with the descript.ion file does result in the overwrite conflict.
My descript.ion files do show.
I neglected to include them in my file list.
Sorry for the confusion.