Problems assigning hotkeys (maybe I'm too dumb?)

Hi,

how can I assign a hotkey to open a specific file with a specific program?
I'd like to use the F4 key to open html files with my favorite editor, but it does not work.

Likewise, I assigned CTRL+W to open the favorites menu but it won't work, either.

Please forgive me if I'm too dumb, but help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Enzio

It can depend on how the editor works, but most programs let you run them with the file you want to edit on the command-line.

I don't know which program you're using so I'll use TextPad in my examples.

Try a toolbar button or standalone hotkey which runs this:

"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" {allfile$}

That will put all of the selected files into the command-line, one after the other. As a bonus, if you change the {allfile$} to {allfile} then the command will launch the program without any arguments if no files are selected.

Some programs can only take one file at a time, in which case you can use something like this:

"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" {file$}

If you have C:\File A, C:\File B and C:\File C selected and run the first command then it will turn into this:

"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" "C:\File A" "C:\File B" "C:\File C"

Doing the same with the second command will produce this:

"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" "C:\File A" "C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" "C:\File B" "C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" "C:\File C"

If you have made a toolbar button then you can also drag & drop files on to it to send them to the program, the same as if you selected the files and clicked the button. The toolbar button can have a hotkey assigned or, if you just want the hotkey and don't want a button, you can create a standalone hotkey which works on the selected files.

Opening pop-up menus via hotkeys is basically limited to Alt+ keys. If you press the Alt key once you should see underlines appear under characters in the menu names. Those are the letters you can press with Alt to open those menus. To add/change a letter, edit the menu and put a & in the name before the letter you're interested in. If you used X then you can then press Alt+X together or Alt and then X to open the menu directly.

Using other hotkeys is problematic, at least at the moment. You can assign a hotkey to open any menu as a floating toolbar (which can look very much like a pop-up menu) but the problem is that there isn't an easy way to make it close after you have selected an option. (You can add a command to every button on the menu which tells the floating toolbar to close, but such a close command isn't compatible with the commands which generate lists of things, like the favorites list, and it means you can't re-use that menu/toolbar in places that you don't want it to close).