Problems with floating toolbars

Im having several "issues" with floating toolbars, so i'll list them here.

1. Im trying to just mimic the windows task bar, ie. toolbar at bottom of screen that appears/disappears if the mouse moves on/off the toolbar. I cannot get this to happen. As soon as I put the toolbar to the bottom of the screen then the toolbar appears to ignore its "Auto Hide" setting and just stays docked at the bottom of the screen (It works fine when the toolbar is at the top of the screen). I have a feeling this may be by design, but would be nice to get some clarification.

2. Im getting a little confused the the "Keep on top" setting. Basically I only want the toolbar to ever be visible while I am inside Directory Opus, but I cannot get this to happen either. If I set the "Keep on top" setting to "Opus Only" then the toolbar does not display while I have (say Google Chrome) open, but if I go to my desktop then the toolbar rear's its ugly head! :stuck_out_tongue: I dont really want that to happen. (Also, the documentation doesnt mention anything about the 3 "Keep on top" settings)

3. I have a floating toolbar with a lot of items that is to be located on the left or right of the screen. If I go to "Customise..." and I choose the "Vertical" option, I see the toolbar update/redraw with Up/Down arrows located at the bottom, which is what I expected/want. However, as soon as I choose OK and get the toolbar to pop out, the toolbar no longer has the Up/Down arrows at the bottom, but a ">>" button at the bottom which brings up an additional menu/toolbar with the remaining items. (The resulting menu/toolbar that pop's up, does however have the up/down buttons at the bottom)

I hope all the above makes sense, and any help would as always be much appreciated. If any further clarification is needed then ask away.

Thanks.

1. The auto-hiding won't happen while you are in customize mode (so that you can edit the toolbars without them sliding back & forth all the time). Is that all it was?

2. The Windows desktop is a special window that is always behind every other window. Keep On top settings aren't really relevant to what happens when the desktop is the active window, because the toolbar (like every other window) is already on top of the desktop.

3. That's a difference between Customize mode (when you are editing the toolbar) and normal (when you are using the toolbar). In Customize mode you can scroll around to edit things in the overflow. When using it normally, the overflow is put into a menu.

The assumption is that nobody would want a floating toolbar they had to keep scrolling up & down to use normally, and the overflow menu is just to let you still access any items that fall off the end of the toolbar because you've switched to an unusual screen resolution.

Remember that you can put menus and three-buttons (where left, right and middle click do different things) on to floating toolbars, the same as normal toolbars. Organising the commands into categories that way seems better than having to scroll the items around to use them, at least to me. (It's what I do myself.)

hmmm, I couldnt edit the above post ?!?! Couldnt see any "Edit" button, anyway...

I meant to mention, that as part of 1) the other problem I am having is that as soon as I put the toolbar to the bottom, not only does it dock and not auto hide, it is ALWAYS present. Again it doesnt matter what the "Keep on top" setting is, the toolbar is always there regardless of if I am in Directory Opus or any other application. Again, I feel this may be by design, but confirmation would be nice.

[quote="leo"]1) The auto-hiding won't happen while you are in customize mode (so that you can edit the toolbars without them sliding back & forth all the time). Is that all it was?
[/quote]

No, outside of customise mode.

If I put the toolbar at the top of the screen, it appears/disappears at execpted/wanted.

If I move that exact same toolbar and then put it at the bottom of the screen, it just docks there. It does not appear/disappear. It is always present. As I am typing this now in google chrome, the toolbar is present at the bottom of my screen. I would like it so it appears/disappears and only while DOpus is the application with focus. Is that possible ?

Thanks for all the help.

Is the taskbar at the bottom of the screen as well? You can't have two auto-hide appbars on the same edge of the screen.

I have dual monitors. On the right monitor is my "Desktop" with the auto-hiding windows system toolbar. On the left monitor I have the directory opus toolbar.

This seems to be a bug in Windows 7 to me.

I have a similar setup, except with neither taskbar/toolbar set to autohide.

If I set the Opus toolbar to autohide, that works fine.

If I then try to set the Windows taskbar to autohide, it displays this error message:

Which is nonsense, of course. The two toolbars are both on bottom edges but they are on different monitors and thus not on the same bottom edge.

Toolbar docking and auto-hiding is handled by Windows itself so we probably can't do much about this.

Bravo!! I disabled auto-hiding of the windows system toolbar and now the directory opus one works as expected.

I havent had much sleep, maybe I havent been thinking too logically, i'll leave any further posts until my brain is fully-engaged!! thanks for all your help.

PS. Does anyone know how I edit my posts - I do not see any way to edit them? (Maybe due to lack of sleep again!!)

Thanks.

FAQ: Why can't I edit my posts?

An odd one.

Here's some feedback on an almost identical setup here. My normal arrangement seems to be identical to Leo's.

I have a DOpus toolbar docked at the bottom of the right-hand monitor. The Windows Taskbar is at the top of the left-hand monitor.

I don't usually autohide either of these. But it works fine if I enable it in DOpus. And it does not matter if I have the Windows Taskbar set to autohide or not.

The Windows Taskbar, on the other hand, will attempt to autohide when I apply the setting, but it then immediately comes back and will not autohide.

This behaviour does not change if I turn off autohide with DOpus.

I do have a "double height" Windows Taskbar.

I do not see the error message that Leo refers to.

Hmm...

Must be something to do with the taskbar's being on the bottom edge.

I have my taskbar vertically aligned on the LH edge of my LH monitor, I have my floating Opus Desktop toolbar horizontally aligned on the bottom of the RH monitor. Both are set to always-on-top and autohide. Both function correctly in this respect.

BTW, Leo, do you still have a rewrite of the floating toolbar code on your to-do list? I have had the bulk of my desktop items in a popup menu on the Desktop toolbar as a workaround to compensate for non-functional multi-row docking toolbars, ever since adopting Opus 10.