Program Error Encountered problem

Hello,

I'm getting following error all the time: screencast.com/t/A4JQfa7w . I would say it appears 1-2 times per day. I don't know the cause of the problem, as it occurs randomly. In this case it happened after I hit F5 for folder refresh. As I remember it happens on its own sometimes (while not working with dopus), rarely. I also noticed weired folder (those bunch of Chinese glyphs) on my E drive listed in directory tree. No such folder exists on my E drive, folder "Web" is there instead.

If a crash dump is produced matching the date/time of the crash, could you zip it and send it to me via private message?

The folder name with random letters suggests that something loaded into the Opus process is corrupting memory within the process, although it's just a guess. It's unlikely (though not impossible) that it's Opus itself, else we'd probably have lots of similar reports, so a more likely scenario is that a shell extension installed by another tool is going wrong and corrupting memory. This is assuming the strange folder name and the crash are related, which seems likely.

You can use ShellExView to see which shell extensions are installed on your system. The Microsoft ones can usually be ignored, and it has an option to filter them out. For any other ones, it may be worth a try to disable them, then shutdown exit Opus (don't just close all its windows, fully exit Opus), and see if the problem goes away. If the crash still happens, if wasn't an extension and you can re-enable them all again. On the other hand, if the crash has gone away, enable half the extensions again and try again, to see which half the problem extension is in. You can then repeat the process to narrow it down to a particular extension.

Thanks for the crash dump files.

They point to a component which is loaded into the Opus process corrupting the shared memory heap. Unfortunately, all the crashes are in different places, with the only common thing that they all seem to happen when calling into the Windows shell. So the dumps don't suggest a particular component is at fault, but it is highly likely that it is a shell extension that is causing the problem.

Using the ShellExView method I mentioned above is the only real way to track down what's causing the problem. I've updated the Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories FAQ with a slightly more detailed description. That post also has a list of shell extensions which have caused problems in the past and may be worth disabling first, if you have any of them.