Properties Dialog Box - Why Upper Left?

When opening the Properties of a folder or file, the Properties Dialog Box opens at the upper left of the program window. This is not ideal for me.

My question is: Is there a way to force Directory Opus to open it in a preferred location (in my case - I prefer the lower right of the window).

All replies and suggestions appreciated.

There isn't a way to change it currently, but it's something we're looking into.

1 Like

+1 on this request. No idea why Microsoft decided to make boxes appear anywhere but the middle of the screen.
In all Windows apps I've been able to force most children dialog boxes (save/load) to the middle using PowerToys Fancy Zones = "remember last position". Having a custom layout that has a fancy zone perfectly in the middle of the screen. Then I can toggle away from that layout with another hotkey.

And I use the NirCmd's 'move all top level windows to center' on a hotkey, which deals with property boxes in one key press. But that's still one too many key presses. And sometimes that is buggy with other types of boxes.

+1 on this request please - centered in current lister would be ideal.

This was already changed in Opus 13. Properties dialogs are now placed relative to the file they opened from, as in File Explorer.

1 Like

seems to be opening to the top-left, wherever the file is.

Which method are you using to open it?

Right-click -> properties, opens next to the selected file
If you use the button in the standard toolbar it is always at the top left

Was using the button. :frowning:

Opus 13 ? When will 13 be released?

See the information pinned to the top of the forum if you want to try 13 now.

Property dialogs are opening in the same spot as before (top left) in the 13 beta.

The change only affects what happens when they're opened via the right-click menu.

1 Like

Oh cool. I see that now.
Is there an argument I can put into my 'Properties' toolbar button to follow that same behavior?

Birba is quite right. Right-click -> properties opens next to the selected file
The button in the standard toolbar opens at the top left. It is unclear why the command in that button gives a different result when that same command is used in the context menu of All Files and Folders.

right-clicking method is useful as it requires little mouse movement to use properties.
how about a fix for the button method (center over current lister or over current mouse position),
not sure where the properties button is on a new install but atm my one is over on the right-side of the lister, meaning moving the mouse a long way.

A "justify" argument would take care of all these circumstances.
It could be justify=30,400 (x,y). To pass a screen location command to a box or program that loads up. The number could be the top left corner of it.
And arguments like justify=maximum, justify=center. Wish I could tell certain programs to always boot at window max size, like the checkbox exists on shortcut properties, but that never works.

In the next beta we'll add a POSITION argument which will let this be controlled.

4 Likes

Jon - A huge thank you for this! This is something which for me will help with productivity and certainly eliminate a source of frustration.