Puzzling .WAV files

I seem to have two classes of .WAV files.

First, the ones in my Windows/Media folder all play nicely when double-clicked in Opus. The Opus player appears, the sound is played, with accompanying graphic, and the player goes away.

However, I have a collection of .WAV files that do all of the above, except that the sound is silent. My first reaction was that they are somehow defective. However, if I open them using any one of a number of media players, VLC, MPC, WMP, and the new Win10 Groove Music player, they play normally.

I have zipped and attached one in case anyone would care to experiment. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Cuckoo Clock.zip (8.67 KB)

That plays OK here in Windows 10.

Is there any pattern to the ones you can and can't hear? e.g. Is it just mono wav files like that one which you can't hear? That might indicate the system isn't configured for your speakers properly, perhaps. (If you have stereo speakers, but it thinks you have a 5.1 setup, it might send a mono audio file to a non-existent center speaker, maybe.)

I've reported the problem 1.5 years ago for DO 10.

See [url]Internal player does not play files with special chars] (24 Nov 2013, 22:19 !!!)

I came to the result that if the path + file name is > 127 characters DO player does not play the files - at least on my systems - whatever the reason is.

I've stopped at this point and didn't further retests.

Maybe this helps.

I too have had problems playing some music files with Do. I solved the problem with Foobar and Leo's great script which never fails to work.

[quote="fuzi1968"]I've reported the problem 1.5 years ago for DO 10.

See [url]Internal player does not play files with special chars] (24 Nov 2013, 22:19 !!!)[/quote]

Nothing says the two issues are the same yet, but it's certainly worth checking the path lengths in case there is a connection.

If you want to send some Process Monitor logs (see my post, the last reply in the thread), I'd still be happy to look at them.

wav files with long paths work fine here, so there is probably another component getting involved, which the logs may help discover.

[quote="leo"]That plays OK here in Windows 10.

Is there any pattern to the ones you can and can't hear? e.g. Is it just mono wav files like that one which you can't hear? That might indicate the system isn't configured for your speakers properly, perhaps. (If you have stereo speakers, but it thinks you have a 5.1 setup, it might send a mono audio file to a non-existent center speaker, maybe.)[/quote]

Thanks Leo...

That was it. The non-workers were all mono.

My Win10 upgrade was an in-situ from my Win8.1 system. For whatever reason, the speaker config did not make it.

All OK now.