Question About Lister Columns Formats

I'm not sure I worded the title correctly, but here is my question:

I am setting up Opus 12 lister displays with all listers in Details mode, and what I would like to achieve is this:

The scenario is I have a drive with lots of folders in it. When I enter the root of that drive, I would only like to display the name of the folders, no ext nor size. I can get those with the tool tip if needed. I realize that there may be single files towards the bottom of the root lister, but the same applies, I can just get size and ext from tool tip if needed.

However, when I enter any folder and see the files inside it, I would like the lister to display the filename, ext, and size.

On a global basis, is this possible? I would like all my listers to have this ability.

After digging some more, the closest I have been able to get is to make a 3way button that sets a saved favorite format for the lister that shows Folder names only, and a favorite format that shows filename, ext, and size.

So, using left-click to Set FORMAT 1 I get just the names, and right-click to Set FORMAT 2 I get the names, ext, and size.

I'm close. But is there a way for Opus to do this automatically depending on where I enter the folders at, as described above?

I think you need Folder formats.
https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Prefs/Folder_Formats.htm

If that does not work, remember you can use that stylesetter script, to run commands in specific folders.

1 Like

Thanks! I think the folder formats are going to be too specific for what I want. I want a system-wide behavior, and from what I read, folder formats are only for specific folders, or specific types of folders. But I do need to study that further, as it's a complicated process, so it's very likely I'm missing something there.

I did think about your great script, and while it would be possible to make that work, it would involve WAY too much effort in putting the Folder.xml inside each and every folder on all 6 of my drives in order to get one of two results that I want. WAY too much effort. :slight_smile: And then there's the issue of having to put the Folder.xml into each and every new folder that would be created in the future... so, I don't think that is a viable option for me.

you can apply folder formats to folder using wildcards.
Using regexp ^.\:\\$, this will only apply to a root folder its saying path = b:\ or c:\ ... and so on.AKA [SingeLetter]:\

Ah, I'm starting to see now. Alright then, I'll definitely follow up on that and see what I come up with. Thanks again!!

Using *:\ as a wildcard (turning off the regex checkbox) should also work to match just the root of drives.

But why use 3 chars when you can use 7? :wink:

Right you are, I was thinking regexp was needed so i could anchor it, preventing false positives. Not that folder can contain a :. _:\ also works. much cleaner than regexp.

1 Like

All well and good for the root of any of my drives. What about the child folders of the root? I don't really see a way to apply a global for those.

A wildcard pattern of *:\?* will match anything below a root path.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you! I believe that takes care of what I needed to know. I should be able to get things done from here. I appreciate all of you helping me!

If you just want formats for:

• Drive roots
  • Everything else

Then use the Default format to handle the "everything else" part. You don't need (and possibly don't want) to create a second wildcard format for that.

OK, that makes sense. Glad you pointed that out to me, a case of 'Can't see the forest for the trees' for me at the moment. You are right, that's a much simpler solution since the default is already created.