Question Regarding Programs Folder

I have Vista (sigh)...

As you know, left-clicking the Start button in WinXP allows nice, easy access to application folders. Vista made that task more complicated.

How can I simulate that using DO where it will look more like the XP setup? Will I need to set up a separate instance of DO (one for Program Files access and one for regular file management?

I hope I'm clear on this.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You want to use Opus as a replacement for the start menu?

Not necessarily. In XP you would left-click the Start button, slide the mouse up to 'Programs' and your application shortcuts would cascade to the right. Or you could easily categorize the applications on the Start button menu. Just a click on the shortcut would start the program.

I would like to see if DO could be used to accomplish something like this.

Hope that makes sense.....

If you want to manage the items in the start menu you just need navigate to

/start (Just your personal items.)

or

/commonstartmenu (Items for all users.)

If you want to display the start menu as part of a toolbar then I've just posted a button to do that:

[Start Menu button)

[quote="nudel"]If you want to manage the items in the start menu you just need navigate to

/start (Just your personal items.)

or

/commonstartmenu (Items for all users.)

If you want to display the start menu as part of a toolbar then I've just posted a button to do that:

[Start Menu button)[/quote]

That works fine, but what I really want is the links to the applications. I changed the syntax to:

Go PATH /users/p/documents FOLDERCONTENT

and now I'm getting an error message that Windows cannot find the link in that path. All the correct categories appear on the toolbar but the links don't work. What have I done wrong here?

Also, I would like only one icon to appear in the toolbar (the folder that contains the categorized links). For example, I have the following categories:

Multimedia
Games
Financial
File
Word Processing
Backup
etc, etc.

and they are in my C:\Users\p\documents folder. I want only that folder to show on the toolbar. Preferably, I would like to have a desktop shortcut to that folder.

Now I'm confused......

[quote="Papa45"]I changed the syntax to:

and now I'm getting an error message that Windows cannot find the link in that path. All the correct categories appear on the toolbar but the links don't work. What have I done wrong here?[/quote]
I'm not sure why that would go wrong. Could you show a screenshot (or two) showing the menu item you clicked on and the error message?

Edit your toolbar, right-click in empty space and select New > Menu, then drag your Go FOLDERCONTENT button inside the newly created menu.

Create a brand new toolbar, drag your menu (or button) over to it and then "float" it to the desktop. (You can do this from the Customize dialog, or by right-clicking the toolbar itself and selecting Float.)

Once you've done this, experiment with docking it to the sides of the screen (if you want it to be like the taskbar), and the various appearance options. If you want it to be like an icon on your desktop then the Transparent option might be best.

[quote="nudel"][quote="Papa45"]I changed the syntax to:

and now I'm getting an error message that Windows cannot find the link in that path. All the correct categories appear on the toolbar but the links don't work. What have I done wrong here?[/quote]
I'm not sure why that would go wrong. Could you show a screenshot (or two) showing the menu item you clicked on and the error message?

Edit your toolbar, right-click in empty space and select New > Menu, then drag your Go FOLDERCONTENT button inside the newly created menu.

Create a brand new toolbar, drag your menu (or button) over to it and then "float" it to the desktop. (You can do this from the Customize dialog, or by right-clicking the toolbar itself and selecting Float.)

Once you've done this, experiment with docking it to the sides of the screen (if you want it to be like the taskbar), and the various appearance options. If you want it to be like an icon on your desktop then the Transparent option might be best.[/quote]

Nudel,
I have attached a screenshot of the error message that you requested regarding the syntax "Go PATH /users/j/documents FOLDERCONTENT".

The sub-folders under 'Documents' all include only shortcuts to the applications. I must have something entered wrong somewhere. When I click the button, the sub-folders show correctly, but when I click on one of the application links, it gives that message. ( /p should have been /j )

Any ideas?