Questions, feature requests and bug reports for 12 as a previous 9 user

Hi there!

I purchased an upgrade after version 9 to 12, managed to set stuff as I wished.

My issues and suggestions remaining:

• 40x40 toolbar icons. I use 125% Windows DPI scaling, so 32 * 1.25 = 40. Power users who use 4K displays with 200% DPI scaling and wishing "large icons" very likely to need 32 * 2 = 64 x 64 icons.
  • Gradient option for the gauge bars (don't understand why was this removed)
  • When switching to thumbnail mode, first a default icon is displayed then replaced by the actual thumbnail. So there's a little "jitter" with the display, version 9 displays the thumbnails basically amazingly instantly when switching to thumbnail mode.
    Maybe an option to turn off default icons in thumbnail mode for at least local folders that appear before the actual thumbnail - instant display of the thumbnails is cooler and faster.
  • Suggestion: a notification sound checkbox for copy/move/etc. Set a WAV file in preferences and add a checkbox to the copy progress window, that is off by default. When checked and copy completes play a sound notification. This is very useful for long copy operations.
  • Previously when creating a folder Directory Opus automatically went into the folder. Could not find a setting to do this with 12!? Quite important.

Also I was really hoping that Flac tags are now supported after more than a decade in the pop-up hint when hovering over Flac files. But there's Tags Library DLL that supports basically every audio (and MP4/WMV/Ogg Theora video files too) tag format, maybe could be utilized, very easy to implement, Directory Opus could support basically every taging format commonly used today, just by adding 1 DLL and a little coding.

Attached a snapshots showing 2 little bugs.

1 Like

Icon sizes already scale with DPI. I am not sure what you are asking for here.

Turn on Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Cosmetic]: gloss_and_gradients if you want Opus to render things in a style suited to older versions of Windows rather than match the flat style suited to the Windows version you're on.

There shouldn't be any difference in speed. Opus 9 may have waited until the thumbnail and displayed nothing in the mean time (I can't remember that far back to say for sure) but that's not good in situations where the thumbnail takes a long time to generate.

Most of the time, thumbnails will be coming from the cache and will appear instantly. The cache will have been cleared when you upgraded, so you may just be seeing that as the actual difference, until the cache is repopulated by visiting the folders again in thumbnails mode.

We'll add it to the ideas list.

It's in the menu attached to the OK button in the Create Folder dialog. You can also hold Ctrl when you click OK or push return.

If you want it to happen all the time, edit the toolbar button and change the command to:

CreateFolder READAUTO

FLAC tags have been supported for aeons. You may need to reset your Music file type group if it dates back to Opus 9, as it probably doesn't include the .flac extension and may not have a full Info-Tip definition either.

Settings > File Types, then, under File Type Groups, right-click Music and choose Reset to Defaults.

That should also fix your alignment issue. If not, you can edit the Info-Tip in the same place.

The transparency issue with the thumbnail may be an error in the source image. See if Explorer or thumbnails mode in Opus show the same things with large enough thumbnails.

If you need to follow-up on anything, please create a new thread, as it will be impossible to keep track of so many different things in one thread. Please Ask one question per thread.

Thank you so much! Fixed everything that is important and I needed!

Regarding the thumbnail mode: if the default icon is displayed first, the display obviously flickers. Not that important though, but in 9 it instantly displayed the thumbnails. I would suggest maybe a setting to not display the default icon for local picture files when switching to thumbnail mode.
But completely understand why is a default icon shown first. It's ok.

The toolbar icon sizes: tried to switch to 200% DPI scaling and it does look as it should. The icons are nice. But if you compare a snapshot from 9 with 12, the icons are smaller (125% DPI scaling).
Also it's clearly visible on the snapshot that the custom buttons added have larger icons displayed.
If I understand, this is not a code thing, just the actual icons are designed as smaller graphics.

The particular icon file looks perfectly as it should in Windows Explorer.

Here are the snapshots and the actual .ico file: https://www.3delite.hu/DirectoryOpus/

From my part we can consider this topic as closed. Thank you very much for your help again!