Quick and simple ? about folder.jpg

Hi,

I use folder.jpg to show up as a single picture when in thumbnail mode. What it does is put a folder icon in thumb mode with a single photo inside of it. The other day i downloaded some mp3s and put it into a dir (not specific to MP3) and it had a folder.jpg that came with it. However, this jpg was the only picture that showed up when looking at the parent dir. There was no yellow folder around it. The only thing i could figure out was that it was 192x192 instead of mine which were much larger. So i tried to shrink mine down to 192x192 but to no avail, it still showed a yellow folder around it.

The only thing i can think of is that the content of the folder for the "working" one are mp3's while the other are a set of my pictures. However, once again, i do not have folder content enabled.

any ideas?

If there are mainly (certain types of) music files in a folder then Opus will draw the folder.jpg inside a CD case instead of a folder. I expect this is what you're seeing.

You can force the CD case to be used even if there aren't music files in the folder by renaming folder.jpg as coverart.jpg. There's also a registry setting which can disable the auto-detection of music files (so you always get a folder for folder.jpg) which is mentioned in the 8.2 changes document.

ah ok, got it..... now for the million dollar question... can you have just the square photo show up without a folder around it (folder.jpg) or a jewl case (coverart.jpg)

[quote]
nudel wrote:
You can force the CD case to be used even if there aren't music files in the folder by renaming folder.jpg as coverart.jpg.[/quote]

Christ on a bike, this would have been useful to know two days ago.

Maybe you should try reading the documentation once in a while :smiley:

And Christ had a bike??? Wow!

[quote]
jon wrote:
Maybe you should try reading the documentation once in a while :smiley:[/quote]

I tried that and did a search for folder.jpg to see why the image wasn't showing as a cd cover and could I find anything? Could I f**k.

You suck and so does your documentation :smiley:

Also, I'd like to know where I can apply to get my time back now that I am obsessively going and finding jpegs of album covers so that my music directories look pretty, and rearranging my folders so all the albums sit in the base folder rather than sub folders for albums for more enhanced prettiness.

Damn you and your functional software with many cool features!

[quote]
ledge wrote:
I tried that[/quote]

With your eyes open? :smiley:

To be fair - the only doc about the way folder.jpg is handled seems to be in the Opus 82 Changes.pdf. I don't think it's apparent to alot of new users that such change notes are even there - or that there is any other documentation than the full manual and possibly the v8 new features doc from the website.

[quote="jon"][quote]
ledge wrote:
I tried that[/quote]

With your eyes open? :smiley:[/quote]

I'll open your eyes in a minute.

And what's with the censorship? Why do you hate freedom?

[quote="nudel"]If there are mainly (certain types of) music files in a folder then Opus will draw the folder.jpg inside a CD case instead of a folder. I expect this is what you're seeing.

You can force the CD case to be used even if there aren't music files in the folder by renaming folder.jpg as coverart.jpg. There's also a registry setting which can disable the auto-detection of music files (so you always get a folder for folder.jpg) which is mentioned in the 8.2 changes document.[/quote]

I'm ripping music using WMP 10, so I have folders that are mostly music (.wma and .mp3) files. The general folder structure is:

M:\Music\Album Artist Name\Album Name\Audio Track File Name.mp3

In addition to the the actual audio files inside each Album Name folder, I also have the files listed below (each with the hidden and system attributes on).[ul][li] Thumbs.db[/li]
[li] desktop.ini[/li]
[li] AlbumArt_{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}Large.jpg[/li]
[li] AlbumArt
{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Small.jpg[/li]
[li] AlbumArtSmall.jpg[/li]
[li] Folder.jpg[/li][/ul]
My shortest ripped album has 8 audio track files, so the ratio of audio files is at least 57% = 8 audio track files / 14 total files (8 audio files plus the 6 other files listed above = 14 total files).

Even though all of my album folders strictly adhere to the specs listed above, Opus is only using the CD Case thumbnail motif for three of them.

Q-1: Shouldn't simply copying the AlbumArt_{ ... }_Large.jpg file to Folder.jpg be enough to make Opus to use this image and the CD case thumbnail motif when listing its parent folder?

Q-2: If the answer to Q-1 is no, what other steps must a user take to ensure that Folder.jpg is presented as a CD case? (I'm aware that naming it to coverart.jpg will force the CD Case thumbnail motif, but that is not the question or issue here--I want to know how Opus picks this up on its own.)

Q-3: What specific file types does Opus use to determine when to display Folder.jpg in a CD Case thumbnail motif?

Q-4: How many (or what percentage) of audio files must be present before Opus will determine to display Folder.jpg in a CD Case thumbnail motif?

I have also tried emptying my thumbnail cache to no avail as well as refreshing thumbnails.

There is not a percentage as such - to keep things as quick as possible, Opus scans the first 5 files in the directory, and if 2 of them are music files it shows the CD image.

The filetypes it looks for are .mp3.wma.ogg.flac.aac.shn.wav.

Not sure how it works these days but the list of files is probably returned in the order the files were added to the directory, so if you move them out and then back in again then they'll probably be seen by Opus in alphabetical order (which is good if the audio files start with track numbers and are at the top). (Alternatively, moving the image files out and then back in again might also work.)

Probably quicker/easier to copy all the folder.jpg to coverart.jpg, though.

[quote="jon"]There is not a percentage as such - to keep things as quick as possible, Opus scans the first 5 files in the directory, and if 2 of them are music files it shows the CD image.

The filetypes it looks for are .mp3.wma.ogg.flac.aac.shn.wav.[/quote]

Ahah! That explains the issue I'm seeing!

I name my Audio file names like this:
Album Artist.Album Name.T#,Track Name.mp3

At this time, I only have a few CDs ripped; the three Album Folders in which Opus correctly picks up Folder.jpg and uses it in a CD Case thumbnail motif are all by "Boston". This artist name is significant, given my file naming convention, and the rule Jon stated above.

Each Album folder lists these files (which I have now sorted alphabetically): [ol][li] AlbumArt_{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}Large.jpg[/li]
[li] AlbumArt
{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Small.jpg[/li]
[li] AlbumArtSmall.jpg

NOTE: In my three Boston Album folders, the audio track files are all listed here. As such, 2 qualified music files are always listed among the first 5 files for these folders. Essentially, the rule Jon stated above boils down to: at least two audio track file names must be alphabetically superior to "Desktop.ini" before Opus will use Folder.jpg in a CD case thumbnail motif. this is because Windows Media Player will always add the three AlbumArt*.jpg files and the Desktop.ini file.
[/li]
[li] Desktop.ini[/li]
[li] Folder.jpg[/li]
[li] Thumbs.db[/li][/ol]Out of all the albums I currently have ripped to this PC, only the Boston Album folders satisfied the rule Jon stated above. The other artist names--James Blunt, John Mellencamp, and U2--along with my artist-first audio track file name convention, cause most audio tracks to be listed below the first five files. Because Opus only checks the first 5 files, it doesn't ascertain that most album folders are music folders.

While I'm typing this, I just proved my theory by ripping a Def Leopard album (whose files in my naming convention sort above Desktop.ini). And as I predicted, Opus determines that this album is a music folder and uses Folder.jpg in the CD Case thumbnail motif for this folder.

I for one had assumed that the manual pdf was updated alongside each release. TThis would be extremely time consuming I know, but the only reliable way? However ...

Where can I find Opus 82 Changes.pdf?

Is there a unified pdf file (preumably with 8.1 changes etc.?)

Thanks.

The main manual was updated recently to cover 8.2 (see the Announcements forum) but, despite this, it looks like the information on folder.jpg and coverart.jpg wasn't added. I'll drop Greg an email when I get home to let him know it's missing.

The 8.2 changes PDF includes the 8.1 changes. It's everything from 8.0 onwards.