Ram usage & Folder Icon

hi
i have two question :
1-when i work with Opus the ram usage by opus increase from 12mb to 30mb or more ,but when i close the lister or minimize it ,the ram usage still high and doesn't decrease like Win Explorer . why ?
(i have 512 mb SD Ram)
2-i change my folder icon with StarDock Icon Packager ,but in Opus i see default XP folder icon. why ?
thanx

[quote="mehdi0016"]1-when i work with Opus the ram usage by opus increase from 12mb to 30mb or more ,but when i close the lister or minimize it ,the ram usage still high and doesn't decrease like Win Explorer . why ?
[/quote]
Depends what you are doing when the memory increase happens. If you aren't displaying large images, or lots of thumbnails, and you're not using Flat View mode or viewing a really huge directory then it's likely to be a plugin or shell extension that is leaking memory (or using a lot of memory legitimately, who knows).

Try disabling all plugins, especially the movie plugin as video codecs tend to have bugs like this.

Let us know which view mode(s) it happens in and what you're doing at the time.

I am guessing this is because the icon change you've used only targets explorer.exe.

Several people have reported success using Icon Packager to change their folder icons in Opus. You have to tell it to target dopus.exe. There's some information in these two threads:

[Directory Icon does not change when using IconPackager)
[Changing folder icons in xp64)

thank you...
the first problem seems to be solved when i replace Explorer by Opus and then Opus takes ram about 3-5 mb for single lister and when i minimized it ram usage decreases to 1-2 mb...cOoL !!
and i try the second and say the news !! :wink:

I don't think Explorer Replacement mode being on or off will have any effect on the amount of memory Opus is used. I suspect that when you looked before it was during or after something which was using a lot of memory for a particular reason (or due to a memory leak in something that Opus called into, like a video codec to get the duration of an AVI file for the Description column), and when you looked again that thing hadn't been encountered so all was okay.

Other things that can increase the memory usage are using lots of external icons (they all have to be loaded into memory) in your toolbars, or lots of background graphics (they also have to be loaded into memory).

If you really want to reduce the memory footprint you should also disable any Viewer and VFS plugins that you don't need since each of those can use a few hundred KB.

Generally, if you don't have a config with lots of graphics and external icons and you're not viewing any images or large directories in thumbnails mode, Opus should be using 5 to 15 meg of RAM (about 10 meg seems normal for my system but, of course, it varies). Sometimes less, to, as your 3-5 meg figure shows. It depends on the config, what you're viewing, how many windows are open, etc., plus the operating system. Shell extensions and various other things can also have an effect.

The effect you see when minimizing Opus happens to most programs on XP. On Vista things behave differently (at least if you've got free RAM to spare) as the caching system in Windows has had a big overhaul to make things much more responsive.