Randomly missing folder and file icons

Running DO 11.8 build 5431 X64. FWIW the Windows Experience Rating on this machine is 7.6. The following issue appears to have been introduced with the most recent DO update.

Using a DO lister there are randomly missing folder and file icons.
Using Windows Explorer all icons are in place, as expected.

"Missing" means were the icon should be, there is absolutely nothing.
The Windows icon cache database has been rebuilt but did not affect this issue.

In a DO lister, in a list of maybe 20 folders, the folder icon for several (2 - 5) folders is missing.
In a DO lister, In a list of maybe 20 jpg files (for example), the "JPG" icon for several (2 - 5) files is missing.
This is not true for every listing of folders or files, only some folders are affected; I see no pattern.
In a listing of folders and various types of files, there are icons missing for some folders and some files; I see no pattern.

If I simply copy the folders or files to a new location and then copy or move them back, the missing icons have all been restored. Moving a folder or file does not restore the missing icons--if they were missing they're still missing after a move operation--but copying (either to the temporary location or back to the original location) does restore the icons.

Once "restored" as explained above, the icons don't seem to "go missing" again although I have not observed the "restored" folders or files for any length of time.

Only the default icon set and Directory Opus 9 icon set are installed. DO has been minimally "customized."

Your help is resolving this issue is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

= Ron

Try using Clear Icon Cache.

Further to my original post:

Adding a new file to a folder which shows files which are missing icons, results in the newly added file also not showing an icon.

Starting Windows in safe mode and using Windows Explorer to show file lists shows all files with their correct icon.
Also, while in safe mode, DO listers show all icons as expected.

= Ron

Please try Clear Icon Cache that Jon linked above, since it clears the Opus cache as well.

If that doesn't work, there are some other things you can try which are more complicated and only worth trying if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your post.

I did downloaded, unZIPed the ZIP file and then ran cleariconcache.exe. After a reboot, the problem persists.

[quote="leo"]Please try Clear Icon Cache that Jon linked above, since it clears the Opus cache as well.

If that doesn't work, there are some other things you can try which are more complicated and only worth trying if it doesn't work.[/quote]
"Fixing stuff" is so not my "thing."

Nevertheless, I'm obliged to say: Please lay it on me Leo... what's next?

OK, next is to grab the 64-bit version of ShellExView and run it.

It will show a list of shell extensions installed on your system. As a first step, go down the list and look for any related to cloud storage (DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive/SkyDrive, etc.). Right-click and disable those (if any), run Clear Icon Cache again just in case, and reboot.

Hopefully that will solve things, as Cloud Storage shell extensions often seem to be the cause of blank icons. But if not, it could be one of the other ones.

If you sort the ShellExView list by type and look for any where the type involves icons (e.g. Icon Handler and Icon Overlay Handler), and disable all of those, then reboot, hopefully that will get the icons appearing again. If it does, you can try re-enabling some at a time to see when the problem comes back, which will tell you which extension was causing it.

Thanks, Leo. I see I have my work cut out for me.

Both Google Drive and Dropbox are installed (which is a result of having to respond to client preferences). And now my memory has been jogged and I remember a similar problem as this some years back which was traced to Dropbox. For starters I might just delete Dropbox, check ShellExView, rerun ClearIconCache and see where that takes me.

I can't help but note that Nir Sofer (NirSoft) is awesome. What a blessing he is to us all.

It will take me some time to work through this. I will report back here shortly.

Again, thanks.

= Ron

Win 7 64 bit
DOpus 11.12

I have the same issue, seemingly random file and directory icons do not display in detail, power, small icon, large icon, or list mode. Thumbnail modes display all the icons. This doesn't seem to occur in any directories with obvious connections.

This started about a week ago when I moved some files between directories. The icons display fine in windows explorer. The problem exists in random directories. Flushing the icon cache does not work. A complete uninstall and reinstall of DOpus does not work.

Has a solution been found?

Thanks.

David

The problem comes from 3rd party shell extensions, often ones related to cloud storge.

There are instructions above on how to try disabling shell extensions to find the offending one and disable it (or update it if applicable and a fix is available).

I have had this same issue after installing office 365, I disabled the icon overlay extensions for OneDrive and fixed the problem. Thanks Leo.