RAW images viewer plugin problem

I have just obtained a copy of DOpus 8 for evaluation, as I need a browser which can read/view my RAW images produced by a Kodak DCS PRo SLR/n camera. Specifically, something which will produce thumbnail sized images for me to scan quickly after downloading from the camera. I was quite hopeful upon reading of the DCRaw converter based plugin incorporated with DOpus 8, but to my dismay find that these images will not display as hoped - in fact, not at all!

Because of the blank thumbnail problem inherent with this camera, I have followed the advice by trying to create a profile by drag-n-dropping an existing RAW image onto the plugin profiler. In fact, the profiler already contains a profile from the earlier model variant of this camera, the Pro 14n. But I can get neither to display my images either as thumbnails or larger versions. What am I doing wrong please?

Kind regards
Nigel

I do not think you are doing anything wrong. The raw viewer in DOpus is useful, but does have its limits, speed being one of them. Here are my thoughts on raw images in general, and I may be wrong but this is the way I understand it.

With raw images, there is no one set standard specification established yet. Adobe DNG is attempting to establish a standard but it's not yet universally supported by any means. So currently each camera maker, not to mention each camera maker's individual camera model, has its own distinct version of what a raw file is. In other words, a one size fits all raw image viewer is no simple thing to develop. And even when one is developed, as soon as a new camera model comes out the raw viewer has to be updated again, so it's a never ending process.

As much as I love DOpus, there are better programs for viewing/processing raw images. I use as one called RawShooter, however I do not believe it has support for Kodak cameras. I think Bibble does, the links to each program's web site are below.

pixmantec.com/index2.html

bibblelabs.com/

I should also mention that RawShooter is free but Bibble is not.

John, thanks but you appear to have missed my point somewhat.

I am already using a combination of 3 RAW image manipulation programs (SilkyPix/Adobe ACR and Kodak PhotoDesk), together with Image Cataloguing software all of which are capable of rendering Lodak (.dcr) RAW files.

However, I am looking for a Windows Explorer add-in (or replacement), which will enable me to browse thumbnails of my RAW files on the fly, when I am working in multi-document mode. That is to say, I do not wish to have to open up my RAW software, simply to check on the location of a particular image. It just doesn't always suit my workflow to do so, hence my trial of DOpus.

When I came upon DOpus, I was initially very hopeful it would suit me, as I saw it contained the dcraw.c engine, which I already know can read my RAW files. I have used it in various other front-end software (e.g. 'UFRaw') perfectly satisfactorily. Indeed, it will also preview my 'reduced-mode' RAW files, which the camera also can create but which very few other 3rd party software vendors can read.

So my original question remains, why is it that in spite of following explicit instructions contained within DOpus pertaining to profiling Kodak .dcr RAW image files (and which it appears to accept), I am unable to get it to render thumbnails or image previews?

Also, and on a quite different note, is it not permitted to attach image files to these posts? I have tried to use the 'Attach file' facility below to include a screenshot of my problem, but that too seems not to work! Just not my day huh? lol

I'll have another stab at it!

Kind regards
Nigel

Nope! Mime attachments are not permitted, it would seem. So I guess a link will have to suffice.

DOpus8 Screengrab

hth

Nigel

The JP2Raw plugin was written by Nudel, a moderator of these forums, in his spare time.

See this thread .

:opusicon: porcupine

Well done Nudel. However, my reference was drawn from here:

JP2RAW

In particular this passage:
"Note that one or two cameras (e.g. the Kodak DCS Pro 14N) save completely black, bogus thumbnails into their raw files. To deal with this, and to provide flexibility in general, you can create different configuration profiles for different types of camera. To add a new camera profile, just drop a raw image saved by that camera onto the list of profiles.

The Full Image Decoding options are exactly the same as those provided by the DCRaw.exe command-line. For most cameras the default options will produce the highest quality results but they will also be the slowest. You may wish to enable the lower quality and reduced resolution options to speed things up. For a description of what each option does, please refer to the DCRaw website."

Kind regards
Nigel

In your screenshot I see the top drop-down in the dialog is set to Preview image (fast) if available, else Full Image (slow). That means the plugin will display the thumbnail saved inside the raw file if there is one and otherwise does a full decode of the image. Since there is a thumbnail inside your files that's what gets displayed. The plugin doesn't detect whether the thumbnail is completley black; if there is one it displays it.

I think you just need to change the dropdown to Full Image (slow) and you'll start seeing thumbnails in Opus, although they won't appear very quickly since the full image decode takes a while.

If you're still having problems please put a sample DCR file online somewhere and email the url to leo@ox.compsoc.net and I'll take a look.

[quote]
nudel wrote:
In your screenshot I see the top drop-down in the dialog is set to Preview image (fast) if available, else Full Image (slow). That means the plugin will display the thumbnail saved inside the raw file if there is one and otherwise does a full decode of the image. Since there is a thumbnail inside your files that's what gets displayed. The plugin doesn't detect whether the thumbnail is completley black; if there is one it displays it.

I think you just need to change the dropdown to Full Image (slow) and you'll start seeing thumbnails in Opus, although they won't appear very quickly since the full image decode takes a while.

If you're still having problems please put a sample DCR file online somewhere and email the url to leo@ox.compsoc.net and I'll take a look.[/quote]

Leo, many many thanks for the reply and may I also put on record my appreciation for the speedy response to a 'triallist's' call for help! To save further repetition, I shall reproduce below my reply to Greg of Directory Opus who emailed me your suggestion. As you will see, the problem is only partly resolved, but if a solution can be found to the way in which the RAW thumbnails are being cached, then I think I could live with it.

"Dear Greg,

May I immediately offer you my grateful thanks for such a speedy and comprehensive effort to deal with this issue, especially as I am only a humble trialist! That bodes well indeed for the future, should I commit to your program.

As to the anomaly itself, on the one hand, I am glad to report that your suggestion worked! I simply changed the Thumbnail setting to Full Image (Slow), and the thumbnail eventually appeared. Although I had tried that setting before our correspondence, I clearly wasn't patient enough, as I timed the first thumbnail appearance[1] at 30 seconds for each full-size RAW file (13mb), and about 40-50 secs for the 'reduced-size' RAW's (~6mb). However, at least the latter were rendered at all!

There is a bit of a silver lining though, albeit I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to live with the downside to this. At least the tumbnails are being cached once rendered, and returning to the same image folder will instantly reveal the cached image. The big 'BUT' is, if I exit prematurely another folder in which the thumbs have not yet been rendered/cached, in order to revisit the previously cached folders, then the cached thumbs no longer appear until I have returned to the last folder to enable the cacheing process to complete. (Are you still with me?) Once it has completed, however, then returning to previously cached folders reveals the thumbnails once more, as though they had been there all the time! If you have a folder containing several dozen images though, I'm sure I don't need to do the maths for you to realise that an awfully long wait can be experienced whilst cacheing occurs, and will also deny you access to previously cached thumbs to boot! Is there any fix for this, as I'm sure I could live with, say, background cacheing of all user designated image folders?

Once again my grateful thanks, and I hope that will translate into a more appropriate expression once I have given this software more consideration.

Kind regards

Nigel

[1] Even if the 'High Quality Image Scaling' option in Listers/Preferences/Thumbnails was turned off."

The problem appears to be that the RAW plugin isn't correctly aborting the "slow" extraction of a thumbnail even when Opus sends it an abort command.

Opus can only extract one thumbnail at a time (more if you have the "multiple CPU" option in thumbnails enabled but this will probably not solve the problem here). When you change folders while thumbnails are being created, Opus aborts the current thumbnail and any others still waiting to be extracted for the old folder, and starts again with the new folder.

However in this case, the RAW plugin isn't respecting the abort command, and so Opus has to wait for the thumbnail it is currently working on to finish before any new thumbnails can be got to.

Note that it's not, as you say, all the thumbnails in the previous directory that have to finish - just the one that is currently in progress.

The solution to this is to petition Nudel very politely to get him to fix his plugin :slight_smile:

[quote]
jon wrote:
The problem appears to be that the RAW plugin isn't correctly aborting the "slow" extraction of a thumbnail even when Opus sends it an abort command.[/quote]

Aha! I see.... :slight_smile:

Indeed you are right. I lost the plot a little as I was having a tough time trying to work out why the thumbs sometimes appeared immediately, and not at others.

Let polite petitioning commence!!
Nudel, you have 58 days!
please! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

An update is on the way but may take a while as I've got to integrate a bunch of other new Raw stuff as well.