"Reading Folder" on every folder (of all sizes) and it takes a few seconds

I upgraded from Lite to Pro (12.22) and now every time I go into a folder (local) it takes a few seconds to display the files. It didn't used to do this; folder opened pretty much immediately. Windows Explorer is working fine too. How can I solve this? It's very annoying.

Have you made any configuration changes, or got any scripts installed?

Try turning off Preferences / Folders / Folder Behaviour / Sort shortcuts to folders like folders if it is on.

More ideas here: Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories

Never mind. I uninstalled DO and removed all residual files, rebooted, then reinstalled, and now it works fine.

1 Like

...and it's happening again. Why???

Have you tried the things I suggested earlier?

Yes, sir, I checked. The option was already turned off. I'm still testing with the options from the link. I'll report back later. Thanks.

That all seems to work - it's definitely fast. But crippling the software to make it work correctly doesn't seem right to me. I'd be better off going back to the Lite version, probably.

Anyway, thank you very much for the help.

Crippling in what sense?

You haven't told us which changes you made.

You don't need to leave all the changes the guide talks about in place. You just need to try them to work out which (if any) stop the problem, and then if you still need help working out the real cause, tell us what happened and we can suggest a proper fix that will let you turn the options back how they were.

Here we go:

Shortcuts to items on unreachable network folders - check

A good first bet is to try disabling the Movie plugin - check

You can use a tool called ShellExView - there are 295 of them. I don’t have any of the default blocked ones.

Try using the Default Toolbars (and no others), reset to their factory state - check

If you are familiar with it, check the Windows Event Log - check

Disable all VFS and Viewer plugins - check

Disable Thumbnail Caching - check

Turn on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for... and set it to All Folders. - check

Turn off Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Display localized folder names - check

Turn off Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents / ZIP files and other archives. - check

Work with only one window, and only one folder tab in that window. - check

Check that you do not have any mapped drives or shortcut files - check

Clear Opus's File Collections - Not sure. looks like it wasn’t enabled.

If it doesn't happen in all directories - happens in all directories

If you can, remove all network drives. - don’t have any

Ensure you are up-to-date on Windows Update - check

Ensure you have the latest drivers - check

Try with a default Directory Opus configuration - check

using Process Explorer to test whether a particular driver - haven’t done this yet. seems potentially dangerous.
Try using Process Monitor - check

Run a disk check on all involved drives - check

Do a full anti-virus and anti-spyware scan of your computer. - check

Disable all anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software - no way am I doing that.

Uninstall -- not just disable -- all anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software - no way, that's crazy

Most of those things were not suggested in the guide I linked.

Which one of them is the one which made things fast again? (You said everything was working fast again in your previous reply.) Knowing that will tell us where to look for the cause, and should also mean you can revert the other things to normal.

1 Like