Realtime editing over 2 or more directories

Hi everyone!

Today I was editing a directory (let´s call it A) containing files, folders, folders inside folders etc etc. This directory is backuped another 2 times (let´s call it B and C). Sometimes I Opus to sync them and then other automatic sync tools that auto sync during night.

But, the thing is this; sometimes I make big changes to the main directory A and reorganize things, moving some folders, renaming them, renaming files even etc, etc. Sometimes these changes are small so I let the auto sync app do its magic moving things from A to B&C and things that have been renamed get transferred and write to disk, then anything in the backups B&C not being in the main directory A gets automatically sent to a special trash folder.

As I was saying, if I make big time changes, it can take several hours or maybe days for the auto sync app to re-transfer everything it finds to be different. So for this cases I thought, it would be great to have an app that mirrors in real time everything I do in the main directory on the backup directories (operations as simple as move, rename, delete, create, etc, )

I searched into Opus interface and haven't found such a feature. Is it hidden in settings?. Anyways, if this is not a feature I wanted to suggest it for future versions of Opus. The way I image it is just like the dual pane side to side just like the one opus has and everything I do on the left gets mirrored in real time on the right. Maybe is a special button that temporarily allows this, like as a safety feature...anyways

And if you know how can I do this and you can give me some tip or point me into some direction I would really appreciate it

thank you very much

Nic

2 Likes

Tools > Synchronize Files, but it isn't something that will run automatically all the time in the background. If you want something like that, synching or cloud storage software is the way to do it.

But it sounds like you're already using a tool which does this, and it just doesn't run often enough? Surely the sync frequency can be configured?

Thanks for your answer Leo. Yes I do use a sync app. But what this apps do (like resilio sync, syncthing etc) is comparing and then sync, and if I make big changes (like a dir that is in development) the sync app generates a lot of traffic in the network and I don´t have a 10gbe network, just gigabit. So when I´m designing and editing, I turn sync apps off, and then I edit. This edits can generate terabytes of duplicated files that the sync apps sync just because a folder changed it´s name. And the idea to editing 2 or 3 directories at the same time that are exactly the same makes sense to me.
Let´s say I have a folder called "blue" in A directory, and I rename it to "green". I wold like that "blue" folder in directories B and C gets automatically renamed to "green".

I use opus Tools > Synchronize Files by the way, and while it´s awesome it doesn´t mirror things in real-time

Not sure I understand. :slight_smile: You want to sync in real time, but have also turned off the sync tools because doing that would use too much bandwidth? Wouldn't the same be true no matter which tool was doing the syncing?

No, because with what I´m trying to do, and after me doing the editing, the 3 directories would be exactly the same and nothing would need to be synked. When editing the main directory, imagine the 3 directories as 1.
This is useful when moving a lot of folders from one place to the other, renaming them, moving archives from one folder to another etc

This is an idea just for editing a directory. This has nothing to do with sync and creating H.A and backup etc.

Sometimes making changes in a directory makes the sync tool to transfer terabytes of data that already exists in it´s mirrored/backup directory

This is more like "pausing the sync tool", "editing those big changes in the main directory" and then "resume the sync tool again"

By "sync" tool I mean apps like syncthing etc. I´m not talking about changing D.Opus, I was asking if the feature I´m after exits

To be super clear. I´m ok with syncthing to sync 10 or 20 gigabytes in a small editing change in the main directory (or what happens daylie under the hood while I do other things). But I´m not ok with syncthing or other methods to sync 25 terabytes of data just because I moved or renamed 10 or 20 folders from their original location in the main directory :upside_down_face:

To avoid that, and when doing big changes, I manually make the changes in all 3 directories, so that´s when this idea of virtually editing them at the same time came to mind

robocopy will fulfill all your requests ????

Definitely have a look at

edit: 2023-09-03 112543

there is an option for Real Time Synchronisation - if it is up to your needs I sure don't know. as I only use it for backing up all my Windows data while on Linux :slight_smile:

hey fkast
great tool but not what I´m looking for
thanks!

hey Itisi, thanks for the suggestion, I use syncfolders/task scheduler for that

Hi everyone

Thanks a lot for the help and ideas. After also investigating the internet I´m seeing that probably what I want can only be done via programming the tool/feature or maybe by powershell/cmd via something similar to "symbolik links and points" (not exacly that butsort of the idea...)

So I think for now when doing big changes that could generate terabytes of unnecessary network traffic I´ll continue to manually reflect the changes by hand

I wish I was a programmer :smile:

thanks again!