Redirecting the search results to a tab, auto close

After reading the improvements in the new version, i realized, that this is possible. This is a cool idea :sunglasses: . I now configured it with the SHOWRESULTS=tab parameter, which almost works perfectly, except it would be nice, if the search window would automatically close after hitting the search button.

I don´t know if that is possible, but if not, i think it would be a nice idea. Of course as a checkbox, which would let the user decide, if the search window is to be held open or to be closed.

I think this may help.

[url]How to close the FIND dialog from a button]

Goldy

[quote="Goldy"]I think this may help.

[url]How to close the FIND dialog from a button]

Goldy[/quote]

hmm, looks interesting, but which part is exactly supposed to help closing the window? I´ve tried the "QUIET" argument, but that´s not it. Did you mean the Nir program? That sounds interesting, i´m already using a cuple of Nir´s tools.

Now the button is

Find in F: H: I: K: L: M: R: SHOWRESULTS=tab;
nircmd cmdwait 2000 win close title "find - Directory Opus&quot

but still not working. Is the ";" in the first line appropriate? For the second line i also tried the german "suchen - Directory Opus".

You shouldn't need nircmd. "QUIET" worked for what I needed to do. I don't see what you are trying to find. Could you post your compleat button code so I can try it out?

Goldy

[quote="Goldy"]You shouldn't need nircmd. "QUIET" worked for what I needed to do. I don't see what you are trying to find. Could you post your compleat button code so I can try it out?

Goldy[/quote]

It´s simply

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" hotkey="alt+S" textcol="none"> <label>Suche</label> <tip>suchen</tip> <icon1>#DOpusVista:findpane</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Find in F: H: I: K: L: M: R: SHOWRESULTS=tab QUIET</instruction> </function> </button>

the button is searching this drives & is wiriting the results to a tab, so far this is working. Only it should close the find window right after the hitting enter.

This works but may not be what your looking for.

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="icon" hotkey="alt+S" textcol="none"> <label>Suche</label> <tip>Suche</tip> <icon1>#DOpusVista:findpane</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Find in F: H: I: K: L: M: R: NAME {dlgstring|Enter file pattern to find files} QUIET SHOWRESULTS=tab </instruction> </function> </button>

Goldy

[quote="Goldy"]This works but may not be what your looking for.

Goldy[/quote]

Yes, this is quite good. Even though this is not exactly what i meant, it´s a very nice standard search, which i will use for simple search. It actually works very good.

The larger search mask (the one with the filters & rules) i have now on the right click menu, in case some extra criteria are needed ("file newer than 2 weeks" etc.). thank you very much. Can some existing filters be included into this? something like

Find in F: H: I: K: L: M: R: NAME {dlgstring|Enter file pattern to find files} QUIET SHOWRESULTS=tab; filter=xyzfilter

So i could make different searches, like excluding certain paths, or searching for a description field or newer files.

Filter is an argument for the Find command, so that should work. I’m glad I could help.

Goldy

[quote="Goldy"]Filter is an argument for the Find command, so that should work. I’m glad I could help.

Goldy[/quote]

Hi,

sorry, but it´s the problem like so many times, i don´t know the syntax for this. Obviously

Find FILTER=Datum in F: H: I: K: L: M: R: NAME {dlgstring|Suchbegriff eingeben:} QUIET SHOWRESULTS=tab

isn´t working. The question is, where to place "filter" & which syntax does it need?

You cannot use both FILTER and NAME. Or rather, you can, but if you include FILTER then the NAME argument gives the name of the filter and cannot be used to specify a wildcard.

It's all in the manual.

[quote="leo"]You cannot use both FILTER and NAME. Or rather, you can, but if you include FILTER then the NAME argument gives the name of the filter and cannot be used to specify a wildcard.

It's all in the manual.[/quote]

Oh, i see. In that case it´s ok to use Goldy´s button for normal search & the right click part for the other, since i´d prefer using a wildcard for most searches. Which doesn´t mean it wouldn´t be good to be able to combine both possibilities, maybe in future versions.

By the way, i at least try to use the manual, but sometimes (maybe even most times) it´s a bit too technical for me, or i cannot extract the right information needed. :wink:

My suggestion is, simply to include more examples here & there, because when i see a few examples showing the right syntax, i can figure it out much easier than without them.

This thread prompted me to experiment with the FIND raw command,. One thing that caused a bit of head scratching until I pinned down the problem is that the legacy of previous FIND operations is not cleared and there is no obvious (to me) way of forcing that to happen.

In an earlier search I used CONTAINING to look for files containing a specific keyword. I then entered the following against a folder that contains many PDF files and to my surprise the target collection was empty...

FIND CLEAR=no COLLNAME TEST in {sourcepath} name pdf showresults=dest QUIET

The reason becomes obvious when I remove QUIET and can see the dialog. My previous CONTAINING keyword is still "live", so nothing matches.

Is there a way of resetting all previous FIND parameters?

Regards, AB

Find in F: H: I: K: L: M: R: NAME {dlgstring|Enter file pattern to find files} QUIET SHOWRESULTS=tab

How do modify this string to find in current folder? TIA.

[quote="darkj2k"]>Find in F: H: I: K: L: M: R: NAME {dlgstring|Enter file pattern to find files} QUIET SHOWRESULTS=tab

How do modify this string to find in current folder? TIA.[/quote]

{sourcepath$} inserts the current path, so:

Find IN {sourcepath$} NAME {dlgstring|Enter file pattern to find files} QUIET SHOWRESULTS=tab

Sorry, am probably being a bit thick here (I did lookup the Command in the Manual), but when I try this, DOpus always shows the search results in the Ouput Window rather than a new tab ?

Am using 9.1.0.6 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Andy

Apologies again - figured it out.